55°

WI-FI Outage Affects Both Teachers and Students

Last week SHS experienced a campus-wide WI-FI outage leaving many teachers, students, and staff members feeling unproductive
Summerville Union High School experienced a WI-FI outage on Tuesday, April 15. This caused problems for staff, students, and teachers. Teachers had to take written attendance on paper like the good old days, shared Attendance Secretary, Maggie Beck.
Summerville Union High School experienced a WI-FI outage on Tuesday, April 15. This caused problems for staff, students, and teachers. “Teachers had to take written attendance on paper like the good old days,” shared Attendance Secretary, Maggie Beck.

On Tuesday, April 15 Summeville High experienced a WIFI outage, preventing teachers, students and staff from being able to get their normal work completed.

Students use their Chromebooks for many assignments throughout the day, and the WIFI being out, prohibits that from being able to be done. 

Many students were not able to do their regular assignments without access to the internet. 

“My day was definitely affected, I didn’t feel like I could get as much work done,” shared freshman, Emmie Higgins. 

With teachers and staff relying on WIFI for attendance, this day was difficult in many ways for Summerville High School. 

“My entire work day revolves around the internet because that’s what powerschool runs off of, so attendance was a nightmare,” said Attendance Secretary, Maggie Beck.

Some teachers use both pencil and paper plans, and WIFI for their teaching, however some rely mainly on technology for their lesson plans throughout the day. While solely using pencil and paper may be viewed as old fashioned, it eliminates problems like those that arose when the WIFI was out. 

When asked about what she thought school would be like if there was not as much of a dependency on the internet, she shared that our school is very WIFI dependent, but would be able to function without it. 

“I think it would be a lot more pencil and paper, and more worksheets.” shared Spanish teacher Ms. Monroe, “I think WIFI and internet lessons can be great, I just prefer to not use them.” 

Not all teachers use technology for all of their plans, and these teachers had much less problems with the WIFI out.

“It wasn’t altered too much, we just turned in our work for the day during the next class,” shared Mr. Hall. 

Not only were the computers and electronics affected, the school’s phones were out too, meaning the staff was unable to make calls throughout the day, preventing them from being able to easily reach other classrooms. 

“Another thing that affected my day greatly was that we could make no phone calls, the phones don’t work when the internet is out so it was really quiet in the office,” shared Beck.

Even though many teacher’s days were affected with the outage, most were able to come up with a way around the outage, still teaching their students and showing how to persevere through obstacles.