39°

Intro to SHS Spring Sports

Darla Vogt
“Summerville sports are taking it to a whole other level,” said Rouse. He, along with others, are all thrilled for spring sports beginning. Athletes are ready and participate in their favorite sports.

Summerville High’s winter sports are shortly coming to an end, welcoming athletes to move onto playing any of the five spring sports: swim, track, tennis, baseball, and softball.

Mr. Rouse, Athletic Director, coaches, and athletes of SHS have been getting ready and preparing for their 2024-2025 spring season.

Along with being prepared, athletes are required to be somewhat conditioned, so they can be ready for what tryouts and what the season decides to give them.

Sophomore, Jacee Vallelunga, has been participating in competitive swimming for one year at Summerville High School and has been swimming since she was a kid.

Due to the weather, Jacee is currently not practicing, but hopes she can soon.

“I’m looking forward to getting better and hopefully winning more swim meets and having fun with all of my friends, because it’s really fun to hangout with everyone and watch each other’s progress,” Vallelunga notes.

Playing tennis since he was in elementary school, senior Cooper Knobloch has been getting ready for the season, as he is a current athlete on SHS’s soccer team.

As for tennis, Knobloch enjoys playing the sport and being around new people. He then shares his opinion on what he is looking forward to.

“I always really enjoy just having fun out there practicing. Everybody at practice is always really fun and it’s a really good way to make new friends and meet new people,” said Knobloch.

Equally important, softball is another popular sport that athletes are excited for.

Sophomore Leia Flores, on the SHS softball team shares her hopes on how it’s going to be on the softball team.

“I’m excited to be pitching and just playing outfield. Softball is my favorite sport so of course I’m excited for it,” stated Flores.

Flores has been playing softball since she was six and hopes she can continue in her following years. She is currently conditioning on the SHS basketball team, while on her own time, she attends weight training classes.

Similar to softball, baseball is yet another popular sport that many students of SHS are looking forward to.

Freshman Sam Wilk started with T-ball when he was five, since then, he has gotten more and more experienced.

“I’m really excited for the team, it’s a great group of guys and I think it’s going to be a really fun atmosphere and it’s my first year of high school baseball,” Wilk stated.

Lastly, out of all spring sports, track and field will begin soon.

Sophomore Jordan Bick will be participating in track and field this year. By being on the soccer team, Bick is already getting ready for this track season.

Since eighth grade, Bick has been a part of the track and field team. However, this year she will be stepping out of her comfort zone and trying a new event.

“I am really looking forward to the 300 meter hurdles, I’m going to try them this year and I’m super excited,” Bick states.

Practices for each sport will be starting soon; swim, tennis, and track will be starting on Feb. 5. Before that, baseball and softball practices will start Jan. 29.

Varsity and junior varsity coaches are also thrilled for coaching each of their sports. There are a variety of coaches this year ready to discover new obstacles and challenges.

Coaching Varsity swim this year is Lauren Gerber and coaching junior varsity swim will be Holly Harris.

Tennis will have one coach this year, Kelly Brussel.

Varsity baseball will be coached by John Baldwin and JV will be coached by Jay Hart.

Coaching softball, Lani Conklin will be in charge of Varsity, while Cody Munsel will be in charge of JV.

Additionally, track will be coached by MacDonald.

Each student that tries out for any of the SHS sports has to make sure that they are registered on 8 to 18. If you are interested in playing any of these sports, additionally make sure to have your current physical submitted.

Below is the link to sign up. Click on athletics, then click on registration on the top right hand portion of the page.
www.summbears.net