42°

‘Dream it! Be it!’ Event Comes to Summerville High School

SHS works hard to display community opportunities after high school to its students. The cool thing is that we work hard to bring community here and so as a high school we need community events and involve our community members, stated Mrs. Fray.
SHS works hard to display community opportunities after high school to its students. “The cool thing is that we work hard to bring community here and so as a high school we need community events and involve our community members,” stated Mrs. Fray.

Summerville High School hosted a “Dream it! Be it!” career program for sophomore and freshman girls on Wednesday, March 13 of 2024. The program’s goal is to assist students in achieving their future plans. The event was held by the Soroptimist Ladies. Twenty one career women, some of which graduated from Summerville, were recruited as mentors to work with these girls. Sophomores and freshmen chose their career interests before the event began and sat with their mentors discussing stories, lessons learned, and goals for their futures.

Summerville’s 2024 “Dream it, Be it” program hasn’t happened since Covid-19. Mrs. Fray explains why the event hosted freshmen and sophomores this year.
“‘Dream It! Be It!’” has been going on for years, but before I came here and I think it stopped during covid… I understand they tried to bring it back last year but we got snowed out of it so we weren’t able to do it and the freshman last year [sophomores this year] missed out on it. It’s usually only freshman but this year they combined freshman and sophomore and we’ll just go back to just freshman next year,” Mrs. Frey stated.
Freshman Katie Maxwell attended Wednesday’s event and explained her experience with the mentors and her peers.
“I think it was really fun. The mentors were really professional and like they knew how to talk to everyone and they explained their careers really well and made a lot of room for good questions for everyone to ask,” Maxwell stated.
When asked whether the “Dream It! Be It!” program had an impact on her future plans, she stated, “Yes and no. One of the mentors actually told me to like keep in touch with her, so that was nice,” said Maxwell.
Mrs. Garcia shared the impact she thought it had on the students and their after highschool plans.
“There were kids who genuinely enjoyed it and were interested and asking questions. I know there were students today who saw careers that they never thought of… To see a woman who’s accomplished and a role model is, to me, powerful. It just shows you that there’s a lot out there for us,” stated Mrs. Garcia.
Freshman Sophia Diamond expressed her thoughts on the event and described a career she took an interest in.
“I thought it was really good. I went to the drama table and I thought that I might have a connection with drama,” stated Diamond.
The influence of this program was very important for the new generation of Summerville High School. Mrs. Fray explained the significance of displaying job and career opportunities this community provides.
“… at the high school we want the community members because they support us and the families and the teachers. Everyones so amazing here that we made it work. Because they all realized how important it was,” Mrs. Fray noted.
Thank you to the GLCs, Mr. Christopher, and the amazing Soroptimists Ladies for making this happen.