66°

Students Reflect on CAASPP Testing Week

CAASPP testing for took place right after Spring Break in early April.

During the week of April 8-12, Juniors at SHS participated in the CAASPP testing that covered three subjects, English, Science, and Math. These tests took place during the first two periods of each day.

The purpose of the CAASPP test is to give information to teachers, students, and their families about what students know and are able to accomplish in relation to the state standards.

Junior Kaylee Vincent explained how her experience went. 

“It was too much time and having to do it for five days was way too much. English was split up into two. One day was an essay while the next day were answering literal questions so that was time consuming.” She then commented that math was the easiest for her. 

Not all students found the tests to be very hard. Junior River Macias said how he found the test easy because he is good at the subjects. 

“Math was the easiest subject for me because I am better at pattern recognition, so it’s easier for me to catch on.” 

During testing, students were offered sweet treats and refreshers.

Junior Daniela Salas expressed how there were donuts but she was expecting more. She then explained that the tests felt super long and tiring. She also commented on which test she believed was the most difficult. 

Salas shared that the English was easy, but the math was more difficult. This was a computer-adapted test, meaning that the questions get more difficult the more the student answers correctly. 

The science portion seemed to be the least popular of the three subjects. It was about 80 problems that took around an hour and a half. 

After testing week is over, there is debate on whether or not this is an accurate evaluation of a student’s knowledge in school because of the fact that these assessments do not go towards grades.