41°

ASB Students to Attend CASL Leadership Conference this Spring

Some of Summervilles ASB students will be attending CASL conference in April of 2024.
Some of Summerville’s ASB students will be attending CASL conference in April of 2024.

Summerville High School’s ASB (Associated Student Body) students will be returning to CASL (California Association of Student Leaders) next month. CASL is a leadership program for students across Calif.

This trip is meant to develop students’ leadership skills, and many students shared their excitement about what they hope to learn this year.

“CASL will give a chance for students to get that high-level, quality leadership training,” shared Mrs. Soto, ASB advisor and Leadership teacher.

CASL is a place where students can connect with other students across the state and bring back activities. They learn leadership skills, time management, communication skills, teamwork, organizational skills, and public speaking and among other things.

Ben Diamond shared his hopes for this year.

“I want to gain more knowledge about how to become a better leader.”

Senior and ASB Social Media Officer, Ruby James, shared what she is looking forward to.

“I hope to gain more leadership skills and make more friends,” shared
James.

Students participate in many different activities while at CASL, all of which are meant to develop leadership skills.

“There were interactive groups that focused on bringing students from many different schools together to share ideas on how to help promote a positive campus culture,” shared Ms. Garcia.

“Students will then attend a variety of workshops and sessions during the day to learn more about leadership and activities that are taking place across the state,” added Mrs. Soto.

CASL is an educational experience for students and teachers alike, but it also provides an entertainment opportunity that many look forward to.

“I feel very lucky to be part of this amazing experience and I am happy to support the students in any way that I can,” shared Mrs. Garia. She continued, “I have never had the opportunity to chaperone a trip like this, so when Mrs. Soto needed an extra chaperone, I was happy to help out.”

School trips like this require a lot of organization, and Mrs. Soto has been putting in a lot of work to provide this opportunity for students.

“There are a lot of pieces that have to be planned. Since this is a multi-day trip, I also need to submit all the information to the District Office and obtain school board approval for everything that we will be doing,” explained Mrs. Soto.

Students anticipate and look forward to what they will take from this trip.

“I think I’m most excited to hear from the speakers, and to meet new people, and I’m excited to go to the dance,” said Diamond.

“It was really fun [referencing the 2023 CASL trip]. There were a lot of new people I got to meet, it’s an experience like no other,” shared sophomore Carter Webb.