42°

College and Career Day at Summerville

Senior Wyatt Castognia organizes the college and career day at SHS for his senior project
Summerville+students+learned+about+local+college+and+career+oppertunities+after+high+school+during+the+fair.++Jacee+Vallelunga+voiced+her+opinion+on+the+tables+set+up+at+the+event.+I+thought+it+was+really+cool+and+it+was+like+really+interesting+to+see+all+of+the+different+like+careers+because+theyre+all+so+different.+It+was+cool+to+see+how+they+each+portray+themselves%2C+stated+Vallelunga.+
Mr. Suggs
Summerville students learned about local college and career oppertunities after high school during the fair. Jacee Vallelunga voiced her opinion on the tables set up at the event. “I thought it was really cool and it was like really interesting to see all of the different like careers because they’re all so different. It was cool to see how they each portray themselves,” stated Vallelunga.

On Tuesday, Feb. 27, senior Wyatt Castongia hosted a College and Career Fair in the small gym where Summerville students explored their interests and possible future plans. Beyond the Cave interviewed students throughout the campus regarding what they most enjoyed about the College Career Fair and where they see themselves in future.
Freshman Jack Webster described the tables he went to and what they offered.
“I went to the Black Oak one, the SMCI one, and that was about it… The SMCI had some good jobs for different ages, they have members, I like what area they’re in, and gave an idea of when you could start working and stuff,” Webster said.
Black Oak Casino displayed three tables at the event to discuss what jobs teenagers could apply for by the age of 16. At another table they presented applications people could fill out at the age of 18, along with long term career opportunities.

Black Oak Casino hosted three tables during the fair for Wyatt Castongia’s senior project. They displayed job opportunities for students as well as career opportunities for ages 18 and up.

Junior Jack Berg voiced his opinion on what impact the fair had on his life. He is already employed at Dodge Ridge, which is one of the tables that were at Tuesday’s event.
Simone Oakes, human resources supervisor at Dodge Ridge Mountain Resort showcased employment opportunities during the fair. To name a few, Oakes stated that people ages fourteen and up could find work at the resort in snowboard and ski instructing, rentals, and inside the lodge. Their table handed out free merchandise including: stickers, oranges, sunscreen and more. Berg also explained that visiting the other tables helped him learn more about his future plans.
“I pretty much checked out every table that offers sociology or social work stuff. There’s a couple of businesses that offer like good social work [opportunities] and they also got me interested in CSU Stanislaus. It really gave me some good ideas of what I would be doing as a social worker,” stated Berg.
On the other hand, some students found that the tables didn’t have much of an effect on what they want to do in their future. Freshman Karoline Witt spoke about how the tables she visited had no effect on the job she already planned of having in her future.
When asked what tables she visited, she stated, “I went to Adventist Health, Dodge Ridge, the Tuolumne River Trust one, and the Cal Fire,” said Witt.
In her interview she expressed that one day she wants to be a pilot.
Some Summerville students, including sophomore Josiah Marquez are still figuring out their future. Marquez, however, does have somewhat of an idea of what he wants to do.
“I went to the TUD [Tuolumne Utilities District] presentation… I like cars and it had a car.” said Marquez.
College and Career day also offered volunteer opportunities to local businesses and the Tuolumne environment. Their number one goal is protecting local wildlife and habitats.
Beyond the Cave thanks Wyatt Castongia for his senior project in presenting students with after high school opportunities and wishes him the best of luck with his own future endeavors.