42°

Track And Field Season is Here

Sofia+Olavarria+%289%29+demonstrates+how+she+runs+the+hurdles.+Olavarria+participates+in+multiple+track+and+field+events%2C+including+the+hurdle+and+100m.+
Peyton Monsen
Sofia Olavarria (9) demonstrates how she runs the hurdles. Olavarria participates in multiple track and field events, including the hurdle and 100m.

The 2024 Summerville High Track and Field season has officially started. The team has started practicing and the first meet is coming up on Feb. 23 at Hughson High School.

The coaching team consists of head coach, Jeremy MacDonald and assistant coaches Chris Vasquez, Cora Davies, Kathy Bendix and Shane MacDonald. Head coach MacDonald has been coaching Track and Field since 1999, including three years at Summerville High and twenty years at Sonora High.

Many players are excited to start this season, they have been setting goals and focusing on what events they are planning on running. JT Souza, junior, plans to do the 1,600 meter run as well as the 3,200 meter run.

“My goals this year are to honestly just run,” stated Souza.

He has participated in track and field since he was a freshman.

Another junior, Cameron Riddle, has not competed in track and field before, but is extremely excited to start this year.

“I want to work hard and hopefully stay on task. I also want to do the pole vault and long jump this year,” shared Riddle.

Sophomores Jack Townsend and Jordan Bick are both excited to start this year as well.

“My goals for track and field this year are to be successful in the 300 meters 300, 400, 4×4, 4×100 relay, I really love long distance. I did track last year and in elementary school” shared Bick.

“My goals are to get at least third place. I want to do the 200 meter and 400 meter. I haven’t done track and field before, but I’m very excited,” stated Townsend.

Sofia Olavarria, a freshman, wants to get faster and stronger. She plans to do the 100 meter dash and Shotput.

“I haven’t done track and field and I can’t wait to try something new because I’m good at it and I love competition also,” she shared.

Two other freshmen, Malaki Lopez and Malaki Fromm, are both planning to try to win gold medals. They also plan to do triple jump, long jump and 4×1 meter runs.

Because the 2024 season is his last, Tanner Klein, senior, wants to continue his athletic ventures. He has done track since freshman year and chose the events for this year that he believes are best.

“I want to be able to get in shape. I want to do the 4×1 meter and 4×4 meter runs,” stated Klein.

On Friday, February 23, at Hughson High School, there is Distance Wars for JV at 4:oo P.M.

Friday, March 1, There is a freshman/sophomore showcase at Pitman High School at 1:30 P.M.

Saturday, March 2, at 8:00 A.M., there is a Timberwolf Invitational at Sierra High School.