46°

Hurst Resigns: Leaving an open board seat

On February 2, 2024 former board member Jake Hurst resigned from the Summerville High School Board of Trustees to take a job as the General manager of the Friends of the Pack for the Name Image and Likeness at the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) . He was asked to join their team to be a part of the recruiting for UNR and advocate for students to get paid if they are being used for advertising.

Current board member, Mr. Atkins, shared his thoughts on Hurst’s’ resignation.

“It sounds like he had a really incredible job opportunity that he just could not pass. We are super excited for him, we think it will be an amazing opportunity for him.”

The school board is currently trying to fill the vacancy, but they are unsure of how long it will take, or how many applications they will receive.

“Right now, if you go on our website, we already have it advertised that we are taking applications for a new board member” explained Mr. Atkins.

The application process is open right now; it will be open until Feb 29 at 4:00 P.M. The Board of Trustees will have the interviews for the potential candidates board in an open board meeting on March 13, 2024.

“We are doing the same application and interview process that we did with Chantel Fowler when she filled that position after Andrea Ransom moved on” explained Mr. Atkins.

Hurst’s resignation is causing the board to need to search for a new member, however they are still able to operate with his spot empty.

“The only negative is making sure that we have enough members to create a forum so that we can conduct surveys. At our last board meeting, it was just our board president, Randy Richter, and I. We have to have at least three members to function” explained Mr. Atkins.

Mr. Atkins assumes it will be around a month to fill the vacant seat.