41°

SUHSD Lessens Graduation Requirements

Credits are lessening from 300 credits this year, 280 credits for the graduating class of 2025, 260 credits for the class of 2026, and 250 for the class of 2027 and beyond
Junior+Caeley+Vincent+voiced+her+opinion+on+the+recent+news+since+it+will+affect+her+class+during+her+graduation+year.+%E2%80%9CPart+of+me+is+like+it+makes+people+more+lazy+than+they+already+are+for+like+the+maximum+credits+they+need+I+guess+because+its+lowering+the+requirements.+But+at+the+same+time+for+people+that+are+stressed+out+with+the+amount+of+credits%2C+its+helpful%2C%E2%80%9D+stated+Vincent.+
Junior Caeley Vincent voiced her opinion on the recent news since it will affect her class during her graduation year. “Part of me is like it makes people more lazy than they already are for like the maximum credits they need I guess because it’s lowering the requirements. But at the same time for people that are stressed out with the amount of credits, it’s helpful,” stated Vincent.

A Credit Reduction Committee was recently established to review SHS’s current graduation credit requirement. A study that was completed to determine if SHS should reduce graduation credits. The committee included administrators, teachers, classified staff, parents, and students.

Principal Mr. Christopher discussed what questions and ideas went into making this decision.

“The process was actually a long process. It goes back to last school year. The question came up of where did the 300 credit count come from? I’m still relatively new to Summerville High School and 300 credits is more than most credits I’ve ever seen at other high schools I’ve worked at and been a part of. So why do we have it? Is it still serving our students in the best way we can serve them?” Mr. Cristopher asked.

When interviewed, Mr. Merrill gave Beyond the Cave details about the issue.

“The committee came together and found that Summerville had the highest number of credits in any schools around. We looked into reducing those credits so we can help students dual enrollment, even through Columbia College or other methods of getting those college credits,” explained Mr. Merrill.

Mr. Christopher further expressed the factors he and the committee considered when assessing the situation.

“In order to find out the answer to that question, we put together a graduation credit committee. We met a couple of times and through those meetings, and everyone who was there went out and looked at other districts across the state of California to find what other school districts do. Then we did a comparison. How many do they have and what’s the difference? If another school has 250, what are those 50 credits? Is it a certain subject, is it electives, what are the requirements in that? The other part of it too is that the state is going to start requiring different classes to graduate in the next six to seven years,” Mr. Christopher stated.

He went on to say the end result he and the committee approved for the future years at Summerville.

“It was reduced down to 250 credits but it’s going to be a scale down so we’re not just going to jump to it. So next year’s graduating class will have 280. It’s a scale down approach and it also gives us time to implement the new courses that the state’s going to require us to teach,” Mr. Christopher noted.

The idea is that juniors and seniors could both have a reduced schedule for the 2024-2025 school year. The graduating class of 2024-2025 credits will be 280 credits.
Mr. Merrill continued to explain the following years of credits.

“The 2026 graduate class will be 260 credits, the third year 250 credits and the following years after that will also be 250,” said Mr. Merrill.

Spanish teacher, Mrs. Dieste agreed that it would be a good idea to keep the same amount of required credits as the high schools near Summerville.

“I think that it’s probably a good idea because we’re the only school around that has this many credits so we should align ourselves maybe more with other schools in the state,” said Ms. Dieste.

Beyond the Cave wishes all Summerville students the best of luck in their studies and credentials.