42°

Fall is in the Air

“Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
FALL IS HERE. The students and staff of Summerville are all excited for the new season and have some stories to share.

The first official day of fall was Sept. 23 and many students and staff members at Summerville High School are excited for all the season has to offer.

For many, fall brings lots of memories and fun activities to do—from the changing colors of the trees, to the pumpkin-spice—everything, to the start of the holiday season. 

The new season holds two really fun holidays and many fun fall activities. 

Sophomore students Deegan Hardie and Amielle Miller answered whether they are more so looking forward to Halloween or Thanksgiving.

“Halloween—it’s more fun. You get to go out, trick-or-treat, hangout with all your friends. Whereas Thanksgiving is more family oriented. I don’t know, I just like candy,” said Hardie.

Miller had a similar response. 

“Definitely Halloween. Halloween you can dress up, be out all night. Thanksgiving, you just like eat the same boring old food and hangout with your family.”

Both students have similar views on Thanksgiving and associate fun with Halloween, while Thanksgiving is reserved for family. 

Mr. Ruckman, SHS history teacher, says the opposite. He likes Thanksgiving because it is a very American holiday in which you get to watch football and eat a good meal with your family.

“Halloween is fun and when you have two little kids, I have two small children, it’s a lot of fun, but also a pain in the butt. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, hands down.”

Mr. Johnson, SHS music teacher, loves Halloween. He states that it is because he loves pranks, and Halloween is the perfect holiday because it calls for just that. 

“I love Halloween. By nature I am a bit of a prankster, and Halloween just gives you the opportunity to tap into your inner jokester self and it lets you dress-up and just be someone new which is kind of cool,” said Mr. Johnson.

— Mr. Johnson

For many people, fall brings lots of memories and fun activities. Decorating for halloween, pumpkin carving, visiting a pumpkin patch, along with playing outside are just some of the few activities you can do.

Mrs. Caldera’s fondest fall memory was attending football games here at Summerville when she was a student. She attended Summerville for all four years. 

When asked if she would rather jump in leaves or go to a pumpkin patch, Mrs. Caldera voiced a preference for the latter.

“Go to the pumpkin patch because I think that every time you jump into a leaf pile there is always some unknown thing in there that is going to scratch you or bite you.”

Mr. Johnson enjoys all of the colorful foliage of this transitional season. 

“If you ever have gone up over the [Sonora] pass, there are these groves of aspen trees or something up there, but like as you’re going over the pass, and this whole field starts turning yellow and just kind of watching the fall colors. That’s why I like fall, it’s kind of like the leaves are falling and everything is dying away to get ready for spring.”

Mr. Johnson likes to go over the pass to witness all of the beauty of fall.

Fall is in the air here at Summerville High. Students and staff alike are ready for the season.