39°

Lady Bears’ Softball is Underway

Kiersten Lutz
The Lady Bears condition in the weight room, waiting for the weather to improve. Freshman Deila Petersen, McKenzie Munsel, and Jaslyn McCulloch pose for a picture mid-workout.

Softball season is a go with the 2024 softball season approaching quickly, starting off the season early. Preseason conditioning started Jan. 6 for the Lady Bears usually on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, to prepare for their first outdoor practice at the end of January.
Something different changed for the Lady Bears this year and that was their new head coach Lani Conklin. Coach Conklin is not entirely new as she has coached varsity softball here from 2016 through 2019.
Coach Conklin share more about her decision to come back to SHS.
“I met with the Athletic Director and our visions for the program aligned and I felt that I had a lot to offer for the program. I decided to come back to share my love and knowledge of the game and to show the players you can work hard and have fun.”
Before practice had even begun the team started conditioning and Conklin added on to how she felt about conditioning.
“Pretty good really. The girls that came had positive attitudes each day. [I] Only wish more had shown up.”
Conditioning early on was new to previous former players. Conklin answered as to why she chose to do conditioning as a whole.
“It was for the players to gain strength and endurance. Also, to boost their confidence as they master or improve their overall strength and condition.”
Every year new Lady Bears join the softball team, but this year it was more than usual taking up most of the varsity team. Freshman girls spoke on their first softball season and how it has been going so far.
Delia Petersen, Maddie Nikiforuk and McKenzie Munsel stated how conditioning went well for them all and had got them prepared for when softball starts.
BTC asked freshmen players what they are most excited for.
“I would say I’m most excited about the games. Playing against other schools and being a part of a high school team instead of rec ball or travel,” stated Nikiforuk.
Munsel chimed in as well and share her excitement about the upcoming season.
“It’ll be fun to make a new softball family on another team for sure,” shared Munsel.
With preseason conditioning quickly wrapping up, outside practices started up soon after once the snowy and icy weather had improved.
Senior, Linnea Carr, talked about what practices mostly consist of as of right now.
“Mostly fielding, running and practicing situations that could possibly occur during gametime.”
Carr and Coach Conklin both shared what they are most looking forward to this season. “Being with the team, getting to know all the new girls and senior night,” shared Carr.
Coach Conklin added in her goals for the season.
“Meeting all the student-athletes and sharing my passion for the game. I hope that I can have a positive impact to help them achieve their goals on or off the field.”
Working hard can always leave a positive impact for the rest of the season and the Lady Bears seem to be doing just that. This softball season looks to be a fun one and the girls are ready to go all out for their first official game on Feb. 23 at the Summerville Softball Field.