46°

Upcoming Concerts and Events

Summerville has several upcoming events throughout this month and next.
    Posters+detailing+the+events+and+their+times+are+located+around+the+school.+
    Peyton Skinner
    Posters detailing the events and their times are located around the school.

Now that Spring is here, many of the arts programs here at Summerville are going to start hosting their end-of-year events. 

Mr. Bainbridge, Ms. Castle, Ms. Kyla, Ms. Dana, and Mr. Johnson are each putting on an event this spring. 

Some of the major performing events this spring include a band concert April 24, a choir concert April 25, a dance recital on May 16, the school’s Art and Photo Show on May 17, a drama recital on May 29, and the school’s Film Festival on May 30. 

Each event starts at 6:00 and is in the theater, except the Art and Photo Show, which is in the library. Additionally, each of the events is free to attend, except for the Film Festival, which will have an admissions fee. 

“It will have a bunch of different performing groups, Zero Hibernation Jazz Band is going to be playing, Orange Crush Band is going to be running through a bunch of tunes, we have Beginning Band, our little Junior Orange Crush, and we’re gonna have a bunch of stuff from our drumline,” shared Mr. Johnson in regards to the Band Concert. 

“It’s gonna be off the hook,” he continued. 

Ms. Kyla shared some details about who will be performing in the Choir Concert as well. 

“We will be featuring Jazz@8 as well as the Connections students. The connection students will be reprising songs from Seussical. Jazz @ 8 has their own set. We’re learning some songs called ‘How Sweet it is to be Loved by You’ and ‘Charleston Alley,” shared Kyla. 

The Dance Recital will feature various students of Dana’s and several styles of dance. 

“Beginning, intermediate, advanced and 7/8 grade classes will perform. The performance will be about an hour and a half. The genres they will perform are: tap, ballet, lyrical, musical theater, jazz and hip hop,” shared Ms. Dana.

“The end of year art and photo show is a chance to exhibit work from all of the art classes and photo classes,” explained Ms. Castle. 

“Our Art 4 students that are going to exhibit a group show that’s based on a social issue theme that they chose [which was] addiction, Art 3 students will be showing a series of work that is requiring them to really focus on their artistic identity, my Art 2 students will be showing some of the sculptures that [they are] working on, and we are also going to celebrate the two murals that are being finished up by seniors [for their Senior Projects],” continued Ms. Castle. 

Ms. Kyla explained that the Drama Recital will feature both Advanced and Beginning Drama students. 

“The drama recital is drama class and advanced drama classes, each class is putting on a one act comedy. [They both] relate to each other, as in they have the same characters just in different situations,” shared Kyla. 

The Film Festival will feature students’ work from the film classes from throughout the year. 

“Imagine the smell of popcorn and the bright light of the screen in the theater as students display their best work throughout the year,” described Mr. Bainbridge. 

Each of these events is not only going to be very entertaining for attendees, but will also be a way to support the Summerville’s arts program and its participants.