39°

Seniors: An Introduction to Parenthood

Bye Bye Babies!
Three+of+our+Summerville+Seniors+posing+with+a+baby.+
Lee Suggs
Three of our Summerville Seniors posing with a baby.

Summerville High School is finishing their last round of babies The last day of the babies is on March 21, 2024.

Many Seniors have mixed feelings about their babies. Some found the project to be a good experience and that their babies were well-behaved, while others thought their babies were inconvenient or frustrating.

Senior Ali Johnson, who got a 100% on her baby project, explained that she liked her experience, noting that she was able to get more sleep than some other seniors.

“My baby project did not go as bad as I thought it would be. Like everyone’s saying they got no sleep and everything, but my baby cried once during one of the nights and that was it. I didn’t lose any sleep,” Johnson stated.

Senior Cooper Knobloch gave his baby a mediocre rating. His baby was set to easy mode, so he only had to wake up to care for it a few times.

“It was alright. I still woke up a couple of times, but we done. We’re done with it,” shared Knobloch.

The baby project although having ups and downs includes a purpose.T According to Senior Seminar teacher Daniel Atkins, the purpose of the babies

“Most people plan on having their own children someday. One of the goals of the project is to understand the commitment/attention/etc. required to care for an infant. One benefit is that it helps students appreciate what their parent(s) did for them. It also shows them that their normal rhythms and routines need to be adjusted. It might show them they are not ready as teenagers to have a baby. “

According to Mr. Atkins there are different modes the robot babies can be put on. They are defaulted to easy mode, but there are two other difficulties that students can request if they want extra credit.

“There is easy, medium and hard. Almost all seniors were set to easy this year. Medium and hard just means they have more care events,” stated Mr. Atkins.

With this purpose and experiences some seniors are saying that they like having children and some are deciding not to.

According to senior Dylan O’shea , they stated on their experience on there baby experience,

“The baby was very difficult and ended up being very annoying to me because I couldn’t focus in any of my classes. One of the positives of the baby was that I really liked to drive the baby in my car because it was relatable to being an adult with a real life child. I also got judged out in public outside of school because people looked at me funny. After this experience I do not think I will be wanting to have kids in the future,” explained O’Shea.