Summerville High welcome Erick Knapp, new Crisis Counselor.
Jillian Damin

Eric Knapp – Meet Your New Wellness Center Counselor

Summerville High School welcomed a new Crisis Counselor, Eric Knapp, just last month. Mr. Knapp was hired when Mrs. Nelson, former Crisis Counselor, left a vacancy.

Mr. Knapp comes to SHS with a lot of experience in the field, yet is relatively new to the area. Mr. Knapp moved to Tuolumne County from Turlock in 2018.

“For the past four years, I worked in psychiatric hospitals and I did six years working at continuation schools as a counselor.”

Mr. Knapp chose to start working at SHS because he wanted to build relationships via one-on-one conversations with the students. He explained how he has met with thirty students in his time here so far.

“Everyday has been a busy, yet enjoyable day, there has never been a dull one so far,” shared Mr. Knapp.

In addition to being the face of the Wellness Center, and meeting with students, Mr. Knapp also hosts Flex offerings for students. While he has many ideas, he shared the implementation has been slower than he was hoping.

Mr. Christopher shared his comments and accolades about Mr. Knapp.

“He’s awesome, has good energy, has good ideas, and does an amazing job reaching out to the kids.”

Senior Gabriel Colmenares shared his opinion on the new guidance counselor.

“I enjoy how he guides the one-on-one conversations and the difference in personalities between Mrs. Nelson and himself is refreshing.”

Colmenares talked about how Mr. Knapp is supportive and understanding in aspirations for others.

A fun fact about Eric Knapp is that he is a volunteer for the Tuolumne County Search and Rescue Team when he is not at work. He is an outgoing and social person who flourishes outdoors.

BTC welcomes Mr. Knapp to our campus.