42°

Valentines Day: SHS shares their traditions and opinions on the holiday

Some+Summerville+students+celebrate+Valentines+Day+by+sharing+roses+and+candy+with+their+friends.+
Peyton Skinner
Some Summerville students celebrate Valentines Day by sharing roses and candy with their friends.

On Feb. 14 of each year, Valentine’s Day continues to be a celebration of love.

Traditionally, Valentine’s Day is meant to show your love towards someone by sending them gifts or messages of love. Whether it takes hold with your significant other, family, friends or by yourself.

Because of the different perspectives of the holiday’s significance, it has led many people to form their own opinions about it.

Many people have different thoughts, questioning if Valentine’s Day is truly just another “Hallmark Holiday,” or if it should be something more.

With all of the different ideas and opinions about Valentines Day, it has led SHS students and staff to voice their opinions.

“I absolutely do not celebrate Valentine’s Day. I’ve celebrated Valentine’s Day in the past but I think that it’s a holiday that puts a lot of pressure on people. You can tell them you love them any other day of the year,” attendance secretary, Maggie shared.

While some may think that Valentine’s Day is a waste of time and money, there are always different ways to celebrate.

Senior Mia Westcamp voiced how she celebrates Valentine’s Day, and her overall opinion.

“I like cooking something cute with my boyfriend. I think Valentine’s Day should be a federal holiday. I love Valentine’s Day. It’s great. I go all out. It’s a great way to share your love and joy,” Westcamp noted.

Senior Kendall Grandbois also celebrates Valentine’s Day and recalls one of her old memories.

“In elementary school we used to have little parties. And then you would bring all your classmates’ little gifts and stuff and that was fun,” stated Grandbois.

Some may believe that if you don’t have a significant other, Valentine’s Day is pointless. Although the holiday has no boundaries, many people with or without a significant other will still celebrate with their friends. This tradition is known as “Galentines.”

Westcamp builds onto this statement.

“I guess single people don’t usually celebrate it, but you can also spend it with your friends,” Westcamp stated.

Galentines is a great way to celebrate your friendships and the bonds that you share with each other. Just as one would celebrate Valentine’s Day with their partner, Galentine’s Day is a dedicated event that focuses on the importance of female friendships.

Sophomore, Layla Villanueva adds to this idea and shares her thoughts about it.

“For Valentine’s day, usually we will get together, go to dinner maybe and say happy Valentine’s Day. I love Galentines though, when we had ours, we had some games, we watched movies and we did karaoke. It was fun,” Villanueva said.

Although Valentine’s day leaves people with many different opinions, there are always other ways to celebrate. Beyond the Cave wishes everyone joy on the upcoming holiday.