50°

Rain, Shine, Sun or Snow? Unpredictable Weather on Campus

Mr.+Merrill+expresses+his+opinion+about+the+weather+recently%2C+%E2%80%9CI+expect+were+done+with+snow%E2%80%A6keeping+my+fingers+crossed+for+everything.%E2%80%9D+The+weather+continues+to+change+throughout+this+school+year+leaving+students+and+staff+wondering+whats+coming+next.+
Mr. Merrill expresses his opinion about the weather recently, “I expect we’re done with snow…keeping my fingers crossed for everything.” The weather continues to change throughout this school year leaving students and staff wondering what’s coming next.

This 2024 school year has been full of different weather, although recently Tuolomne had a surprising amount of snowfall; followed by sunny weather, students and staff of SHS wonder, snow in April?

On Thursday, April 4, Summerville was hit with snow, causing an early release day and a complete school closure on Friday, April 5th. For some people, they were prepared and ready for it to snow. Others, not so much.

“I saw it on the weather app and I remember thinking, ‘That’s funny, they never get it right. They really got it right this time,” Ms. Weller, GLC, shared.

Along with Ms. Weller, Superintendent Merrill has similar opinions to share.

“I didn’t believe it was going to happen; I was absolutely burying my head in the sand, hoping that it wasn’t going to happen.”

Snow can affect students in many different ways; driving on the snowy or icy roads, not having power, or even accidentally slipping and hurting themselves.

Mr. Merrill adds to this idea.

“I was more worried about students getting back and forth…I know we need the water and all, but when the snow comes down this low and it inconveniences students getting back and forth safely from school, that’s a problem. There were trees down on my way, too and from school. I came in by 7:30 on that following Friday morning to help with snow removal and so forth. I had to get turned around in two different places because of downed trees as well.”

After the snowy days, it has students of Summerville thinking about which they would prefer; sunny days or snowy days?

“The weather has been very bipolar lately,” stated Mateo Murphy, senior. “We didn’t get that much snow this year and it’s also a little too sunny, but the snow can be difficult to handle at times, so I don’t prefer either,” Murphy added.

Regardless of student or staff opinion, it looks like the sunshine is here to stay.