42°

Boys Baseball Travels to So. Cal and AZ to Kick off Season

Bryce Rathmel
[Pictured]: Coach Baldwin, Aiden Ripley, Robert Sundling, Liam Evans, Marcus Rodriguez, Jonathan Whitney, Charlie Yaley, Mr. Karpus, Coach Sterzenaker Lucca Peterson, Tyler Karpus, Zachary Sundling, Coach Simonson. BACK ROW: Jarhett Whitney, Coach Wood, Brody Peters, Luke Larson, Bryce Rathmel, Titan Calise, Walker Crook

Baseball season is here. Summerville’s Varsity Baseball team got off to a great start with a few games on the road followed by a road trip to Arizona to see Major League Baseball (MLB) Spring Training.

While away on this trip, the team played against four different schools. They played teams from Anaheim, Blythe, Atwater, and Tulare.

Coach Rouse explained that a trip like this can have many positive impacts on a team, including the opportunity to face new teams.

“I think some of the benefits of this trip were team bonding, and the chance to get out of this small community that we are in be able to go out and play against teams that we do not personally know.”

“We took away a lot of teamwork skills. Getting to see competition from outside our County and Division helped us develop skills that we don’t have here. We saw a lot of really talented players,” shared Titan Calise.

Summerville High’s baseball team has never had the chance to go on a trip like this before.

“Coach Baldwin did a great job of coming up with this trip and I know some of the players out there so we were even able to set up a time for the team to meet Tanner Bibee who I trained,” said Mr. Rouse.

As the 2024 baseball season gets underway Coach Rouse feels hopeful for a great season.

“I think that we’ve got a strong team. There’s a good atmosphere, and they fit really well together, they are friends. Typically when you have a team full of friends, they tend to do better.”

While the freshman team did not have the opportunity to take a roadtrip, they have begun their season as well.

“I think it’s going to go well. As freshmen we have only had two games so far, they were last week, back to back. We are still learning but I think we are thinking about it too much … I mean, they are good ball players but I think they are just nervous. So I think we should be good,” shared Fox.

The 2024 baseball season is looking very promising for Summerville High. Go Bears!