39°

New Year’s Resolutions

Many people start off the year with New Year’s Resolutions. Will it be a “New Year New Me” or “New Year Better Me?”

2024 is here and for many people that means it is time to make New Year’s Resolutions. People often choose to make New Year’s resolutions in an attempt to better themselves, build new habits or change something in their lives for the year to come.

Some students made resolutions that were targeted toward personal growth.

“My resolution is to better myself and get my grades up,” said sophomore Violet Millis.

Senior Jacob Morales shared his resolution about bettering himself and in general, being nicer.

“My New Year’s resolution is just to be nicer to people,” said Morales.

Junior Faith Mcclure said, “My New Year’s resolution is to have a very clean, organized room.”

One of the most common areas of focus for New Year’s resolutions is on physical fitness. As the new year begins, many people begin working out and trying to achieve their fitness goals.

Senior Aryean Schnabel said, “I want to eat my vitamins this year.”

“I want to gain 20 pounds and get big,” said senior Nicolas Rodgers.

Some people gave their opinions on why they think New Year’s Resolutions are a positive way to start off a year with a good beginning. Some people find that they can be helpful to start achieving goals over the year.

“Because it keeps you motivated and helps you keep going and helps you make it through that first part of the year,” said freshman Priscilla Brand.

“You can use it as a fresh start. It puts them in the mindset that they can change,”

— Junior, Jesse Stone

Even though making New Year’s resolutions is a common practice that many take part in, there are people who see more harm than good done by these resolutions. However, for some, a resolution helps them complete a challenge and put their plans into action.

“I don’t make New Year’s resolutions because it’s just some weird made up thing that people come up with to try and improve themselves the next year and then they never stick to it and just feel worse about it,” junior Colton Fox shared.

“I do not actually believe in New Year’s resolutions. I think everyday of our life is a chance to restart, renew and reevaluate. So I think we should be making resolutions every day,” said Mrs. Garcia.

“Normally they only last a month or two and then people forget them or just give up,” Hayden Reiser, a senior, revealed.

Students here at Summerville Union High School have mixed opinions on resolutions for the new year. Whether a resolution is made or not, the fresh start of the new year may be a perfect time to reevaluate, dream big and take steps towards meeting a new goal.