53°

Class Presidents Take Office, Seek Change

Cooper Knobloch
Summerville’s ASB organized the Homecoming Spirit days and inspired students to come to school in Hawaiian themed outfits. “I am able to guide, advise and help any new people who are unfamiliar with leadership and hopefully get them involved,” Knobloch explained.

Serving Summerville High as class presidents for the 2023-24 school year are Connor Nixon (9), Maddison Soto (10), Hayden Groff (11) and Hosanna Atkins (12). Cooper Knobloch is the Associated Student Body (ASB) president.

These students are elected to represent their grade across the student body and lead the students in their grade.

With Maddison Soto’s second year as a class president, she explains what role she has played in ASB. 

“As sophomore president, I lead discussions during ASB and basically supported the whole sophomore class,” said Soto.

The ASB does a lot for the student body. They decorate for the dances, choose the spirit days, and plan most school events. They also put in a lot of work to keep school spirit up. 

This year the student body has been more active on social media than in previous years, which has helped inform students of what events are coming up and how they can become involved in school activities. 

“I proposed that the school should have a better social media platform so that student life is magnified and kids are informed of upcoming events and have something to look forward to,” said senior class president Hosanna Atkins.

Many of the officers would like to see the school no longer be separated into different groups and for Summerville students to increase their show of school spirit. Junior class president Hayden Groff said that he would like to see more unity on campus. 

“I would like to see more of us meshing together. It seems that there are a lot of different groups on campus. Those who are really into school spirit and those who are not, as well as academics and the athletic people. I would like it if we could be one big family, because we’re all Bears on campus, right?” Groff voiced.

— Hayden Groff, Junior Class President

The student body team is not just responsible for school spirit, but they also do work for the campus itself. ASB president, Cooper Knobloch commented on his own pursuit in improving the school community. 

“This school year I have been lucky enough to have the opportunity to renovate the tennis courts and am currently working on getting that project done,” said Knobloch.

By listening to their fellow students, the class presidents bring attention to the interests, wants and needs of the student body. Freshman class president, Conner Nixon has listened to the suggestions of his classmates and argues for change. 

“One major thing I would like to change is the PE uniform, I’ve been hearing lots of complaints about it, nobody has really been loving it. Now that they are enforcing it more, I would like to hear why it is enforced and maybe see if there is something I can do about it,” said Nixon.

The ASB presidents have many ideas for what they hope to accomplish while in office. Their leadership will shape the 2023-24 school year for the Summerville Bears.