64°

Game, Set, Match: Tennis is in full swing

Caption, Annika Cardinal (on the right) and Elise Mendezona (on the left) posing with their first place trophies from the River Bank Tournament.

The SHS Tennis teams are restarting again this year for both girls and boys. 

The teams this year include many returning players such as junior Bella Wickman, senior Jameson Baldwin, senior Cooper Knobloch, sophomore Carter Webb, junior Faith McClure, and sophomore Mason Stokes.

These players describe themselves and the team as being prepared for the upcoming season.

McClure weighed in on this upcoming season. 

“I’m feeling pretty confident, we have really good singles players, especially for boys,” stated McClure. She also describes how she is looking forward to the season, “I’m also really excited, Tennis is really fun.”

Webb also states how confident he feels the team and himself feel for the upcoming season. 

“I’m feeling confident, we have a lot of kids here for the upcoming season, but we are still really stacked from last year, boys and girls included. He also commented on the 2023 spring season. 

“We lost to Amador last year, but everyone lost their players, so I think it is going to go really well.”

As there are many returning players this year, there are also many new players. One of these players being freshman Ella Martino. 

“I’m confident about joining Tennis this year and I  think I’m going to do really well this season. I’m really excited because I get to play with my friends [and this is my] first time being on a team. I think I can improve by practicing a lot and probably getting along with other people is a really good challenge when you can accomplish it,” Stated Martino. 

Many players are feeling confident this season. Underclassman, Josiah Marquez, made the varsity team this year and he commented about the upcoming season. 

“I am very confident I made varsity Tennis two weeks in, the team is very well put together and everyone is looking really good in singles and doubles. I am very excited. It is my first year on varsity,  my challenges are that I need to be able to get practice everyday and in doing so it will improve [my] technique, ” stated by Marquez. 

As many new players join the Tennis program, the coaches also get to see these players grow and develop into the athletes they are. 

“Every year I have seen our team get bigger. These past two years our team continues to double in size, which is the most I have seen in awhile,” said head coach, Kelly Bressel.

The team has many exciting things on the horizon for the season, and the team and coaches alike can’t wait to see it all unfold. 

“I honestly believe that our team has been getting stronger and stronger each year. This year, like any year, I do believe that our team will be able to win the division playoffs.” 

As the Summerville Tennis team grows, so will its players. So, the question is asked; who is ready for this new season?