55°

Advice for the Future Graduates

Mr. Atkins gave a lecture about the Islamic-Palestinian War in one of his History classes. Through his lecture, he shows how it is important for students to remain informed about current world events as they make the transition into adulthood.
Peyton Skinner

Have you ever wanted to tell your freshman self what you know now? There are plenty of seniors and juniors who have grown and changed so much since freshman year.
With the experience of high school in particular, students are exposed to new ideas, places, people and experiences that it’ll be very easy to over stress. So that is why some advice from people who have been through all of high school could really help you out.
Summerville Grade Level Coordinator Mrs. Fray shared some of her advice for students transitioning from middle school to high school. She recommended they learn independence from an early age, especially in regards to choosing classes, and that they get involved in high school activities early on.
“I think I would tell future 7th and 8th graders that they need to be ready to be unjust to a schedule where they have to pay attention; they’re not going to have things guided for them as much. I would tell them to pay attention to their Math and English because we pride ourselves in having rigorous courses; I would say start getting organized. And visit the school in the summer, and that’s probably the most important thing to get involved in. Because the minute you graduate 8th grade, you can start doing sports here and signing up for classes. I would go to the website and try to find things to do. That is what I would do, I would try to get involved.”
Junior Caeley Vincent reflected on what she would do differently in her early high school year if given the opportunity. She shared some of her wishes in an interview with Beyond the Cave.
“Not to stress out so much about my grades. I was all about being the best, so I just needed to take a chill pill. I would do better with my grades by studying better by doing it once an hour. And space my work out [better]. I would also want to be more involved; I wish I did ASB and Mock Trial.”
Senior Seminar and World History teacher Mr. Atkins shared his advice to the younger classes. He encouraged students to look to their future plans.
“I would definitely encourage sophomores, juniors, and freshmen to start, when they have free time, looking into what after high school could look like. I know that there are a lot of seniors who want to go to college, and others that are not sure, but they have not spent time looking and researching about college, or about the other options, so there’s a lot of pressure on your senior year. [Seniors] have to make a choice when they haven’t really considered those kinds of questions.”
Mr. Atkins shared similar ideas as Mrs. Fray, voicing that students should become involved in activities on campus through the school while the opportunity is available.
“Try a sport you have never tried, join a club, take classes that are electives that sound interesting that maybe will help you figure out your passion. Instead of just taking the easy route. My personal favorite memories from high school were playing sports and getting involved in clubs, and also taking classes that were outside the ‘easy option,’” suggested Mr. Atkins.
Summerville students encourage future generations to make every second count in their four years of high school whether that includes making new friends, joining clubs or sports, and being involved.