77°

Online Ticketing: Is it here to stay?

Tickets+for+all+Summerville+High+sports+games+are+for+sale+through+Ticket+Spicket.+Once+you+arrive+at+the+game%2C+you+can+pull+up+your+tickets+on+your+phone+and+show+it+to+the+person+working+at+the+gate.+This+system+takes+much+less+time+than+buying+tickets+at+the+game+with+the+goal+of+expediting+the+process.+
Tickets for all Summerville High sports games are for sale through Ticket Spicket. Once you arrive at the game, you can pull up your tickets on your phone and show it to the person working at the gate. This system takes much less time than buying tickets at the game with the goal of expediting the process.

This school year Summerville High School has opted for an online ticketing system for all sporting events. This allows tickets to be bought online eliminating the need for cash. 

Some people in attendance to the games have had issues with some aspects of the online ticketing system, but others have also recognized the benefits of this new system. One of the major issues is that it can be difficult to access purchased tickets because the area surrounding Summerville High has very poor internet connectivity. 

“Unfortunately because of the poor WIFI connectivity, especially after school in this area, and the lack of cell reception, many people have trouble loading and purchasing their tickets. The school’s WIFI is open during the games, but sometimes not even that is enough,” said Ms. Gissler.

Freshman Priscilla Brand shared her thoughts about the new system. 

“I think it is more convenient for people who normally don’t carry cash or can’t get cash, but it can be really  inconvenient because you can not always trust your cellular data or WIFI, so if it doesn’t load, you’re out of luck.”

— Priscilla Brand, Freshman

Two additional issues people have had with this new system is that there is a .75 cent fee that the company “Ticket Spicket” adds on top of the ticket price, and that there are no senior discounts offered.

Mr. Rouse explains that even though Ticket Spicket labels the .75 cents as a “convenience fee” it is really just a credit card processing fee. 

“It wasn’t a ‘convenience fee that was coming from us. The company actually named it that, it is actually just a credit card processing fee that they added on top of the actual price. We’re not able to post anything different than what CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) allows us to for ticket prices, so anything on top of that, the company just put on as their fee. Unfortunately, the fee wasn’t very convenient for us.”

Ms. Gissler shared that although it has caused some complaints, senior discounts are no longer offered as there is not a way to verify age. 

“They could just be lying and everybody could say they are a senior and we wouldn’t even know,” explained Ms. Gissler.  

People do appreciate that the new system allows a quick check in for the games, eliminates any lines that would form for ticket sales and some have said that it is very convenient to not have to keep cash on hand. 

“I like the online system because I always have my phone on me so it’s easier to just buy tickets and scan it like that without having to find cash and worry about having it with me,” said Brand.

While some may still have problems with the online ticketing system, it seems that it is here to stay.