64°

New Addition to Campus: Student Wellness Center

Peyton Skinner
The Wellness Center, located next to Mrs. Peterson’s classroom, holds all the necessities for students who might feel overwhelmed. It is a great place to go and take care of one’s mental health.

Summerville High School established a new Wellness Center on campus this school year.

Mental Health awareness has been on the rise in teens throughout the years along with an increase in social media popularity and usage.

The Wellness Center is a staple in helping students overcome personal struggles. It is run by Mrs. Nelson, SHS Crisis Counselor, who intends for it to be a quiet and peaceful place for students that is beneficial to their mental health.

Summerville GLC, Mrs. Fray, agreed that the Wellness Center is an important place for students.

“I am a big believer and I think it’s a great space,” Mrs. Fray said.

Mrs. Nelson offers Flex offerings for Tuesdays and Wednesdays to help students learn to cope with and understand their feelings. So far she has talked about mindfulness, coping skills, practicing self-care, and has gone on “wellness walks” with inspiration from Mrs. Garcia. She is even taking suggestions from students about what they want to discuss and review.

“I want to cover what you guys need. I ask you guys and take recommendations on what you guys would like to learn about,” Nelson said.

The center is open Monday through Friday during school hours, and although a pass is required to go during class, many teachers are understanding and allow students to attend the center.

“The fact that they require communication with the teacher is good because it insures that we can know where students are, and I think teachers on this campus, most if not all the teachers on this campus, are on board with the importance of mental heath. I’m hearing that teachers are being flexible and supportive about sending kids down when they request,” said Mrs. Ditler, SHS GLC.

Many students have used the new center and appreciate the availability of it that they have at their fingertips. They like the atmosphere that the room gives off and the openness that is available to allow for the freedom of their emotions.

Senior Gabriel Colmenares shared his opinion on the Wellness Center.

“I actually love it. I very much enjoy it. It’s very chill. I call it the living room because of the atmosphere and the furniture,” Colmenares said

Colemenares also gets to practice self-care while being the Teacher’s Assistant (TA) in the center.

There are many resources available at the “living room” for students such as tea, snacks, fidgets, coloring items, and an overall relaxing and zen environment for students.

Senior Marley Laplaca describes how it is a relaxing sanctuary through high school life.

“I think it’s a really wonderful place to relax for people whenever they feel overwhelmed with school and it definitely has all the resources we need to destress,” said Laplaca.

During the month of October, Mrs. Nelson is having two professionals from local schools, Liz Beutter and Laticia Judah, host an all-girl Flex on Tuesdays about empowerment and the mental health aspects of social media. You can contact Mrs. Nelson for more information at [email protected].