60°

Christmas Time Traditions

Summerville Bears share their favorite Christmas time traditions.
Madeline Sharkey
Christmas time is here at Summerville High School. ASB (Associated Student Body) has set up many Christmas decorations around the campus, like this Christmas tree, further spreading excitement for this upcoming holiday season.

Christmas traditions are celebrated all across the world bringing people together to spread festive joy during every holiday season. People create special memories to celebrate the holidays, making the end of the year truly magical. This further generates many different ways for communities, families, and friends to find their own Christmas cheer. 

Sophomore at Summerville, Emily Costa, shared that her favorite Christmas tradition she participates in is decorating. 

“I like the overall aspect of it, like decorating the tree and the outside and inside of our house. It’s fun,” said Costa. 

Summerville teachers and staff have their own traditions they do every year as well. 

Teacher at Summerville Mr. Suggs is a Disney lover at heart and expressed a tradition he partakes in during the holiday season. 

“Every year I like to watch Mickey’s Good Deed,” stated Mr. Suggs. 

Near Christmas-time each year, Sonora holds a Christmas parade in Downtown Sonora, where many locals and tourists attend to watch. 

Sophomore Wyatt Sharkey explained his experience at this year’s parade. 

“I always enjoy the Christmas Parade down in Sonora. We went with some friends this year and sat in the back of their truck which gave us a good view,” stated Sharkey. 

Numerous people, including junior Bryce Rathmel and freshmen Willie Bolt have Christmas traditions involving gathering together at a family member’s household. 

“Me and my family usually have Christmas down in Los Angeles with one side of the family and then the next day we will head to the other side of the family’s house. It’s a lot of driving,” said Rathmel. 

Bolt, on the other hand, discussed his traditions of staying local.

“For Christmas Eve, we go to my aunt’s house here in town and have dinner along with exchanging gifts,” said Bolt. 

Sophomore Emma Kurz shared her plans for this year’s holiday season that she is most excited for.

“Mine would have to be that me and my family are going to Disneyland. Going in the winter time when it is all decorated for Christmas is so much fun, I love it.” 

As of the recent years, Elf on The Shelf has become a staple in many family homes during Christmas time. Freshman Will McGraw discussed his special elf.

“We have Snoop on The Stoop and he’s pretty cool. It’s funny, you know, because it’s Snoop Dogg as a little elf,” said McGraw. 

Senior Gabe Colemanarez explained cultural traditions his family takes part in each year. 

“Me and my family usually head up to Las Vegas, because that’s where most of my family lives and we will go have tamales for dinner… My mom or my grandma will make a Christmas tamales version and they are really good. I could go for one right now actually,” Colemanarez noted. 

Whether it’s heading to Disneyland for the holidays or watching the Christmas parade with friends and family, these traditions make Christmas feel a little special each time around, bringing loved ones together and making special memories. Let’s forever hold onto these traditions and celebrate the special joy this holiday season brings.