53°

It’s Showtime: High School Musical is live

The cast’s experiences on performing this year’s fall production
Lexie
Austin Paris (10) and Cierra Bettencourt (12) perform the their entrance song, “Wild Cats Cheer.”

High School Musical, directed by Kyla Hatler, recently had their first shows open this past weekend and many people came to see opening night. The cast features many talents from SHS and Connections Visual and Performing Arts Academy (CVPAA) students.
The play highlights a love story about a small-town star athlete, Troy Bolton, falling for Gabriella Montez, at a holiday karaoke party.
Senior, Ruby James, plays the female lead of Gabriella Montez and believes the play has been a hit.

It’s gone better than I thought it was going to go. I think these last couple of shows are going to be chaos, but also really fun…I was interested to do this play because it was our last senior show and High School Musical is the best Disney channel Original movie.”

— Ruby James

“It’s gone better than I thought it was going to go. I think these last couple of shows are going to be chaos, but also really fun…I was interested to do this play because it was our last senior show and High School Musical is the best Disney channel Original movie,” said James.
Dylan O’Shea, senior, gave insight into traits of his character, Ryan.
“I think the play has been really good so far… I play Zeek Bailer, which is Sharpey’s love interest. I guess some traits I can relate to the character I play are: [I’m] clumsy, rizz, rizz master and silly. I really enjoy our cast, we have a cast photo and everybody in the cast photo I love. I really like our sets, I think it could be better without as many set changes but I like mine because I only have one,” said O’Shea.

Members of the cast of High School Musial perform the audition scene to “Bob to the Top.” (Lex)

Freshman Bella Martinez explained her experience with performing in the High School Musical Production.
“I think it’s going pretty well for it only being the second week of it being opened. I play Cathy; she is a thespian and I have a singing part in the audition song… I’ve always loved the movie High School Musical. It was also the first fall musical and the first one directed by Kyla Hatler at Summerville High school and I knew the choreography that Dana Spurrier put into it was cool to perform,” Said Martinez.
Martines also explained the play’s impact on the Connections Program at SHS.
“I think the play has had a really positive impact because it has raised awareness of the Connections Program, to other schools so that other students could audition and keep the Connections Program alive,” stated Martinez.
Kyla Hatler, who teaches performing arts here at Summerville, shared her opinion and thoughts about High School Musical.

“I am very very pleased with [the show]; it has had great energy, great fun, it’s a really good show and the kids have been super into it. I think it’s really gotten kids interested in performing arts singing and dancing and working as a team,”

— Ms. Kyla, VAPA Teacher

“I am very very pleased with [the show]; it has had great energy, great fun, it’s a really good show and the kids have been super into it. I think it’s really gotten kids interested in performing arts singing and dancing and working as a team,” shared Ms. Kyla.
This is Ms. Kyla’s first show she has produced at Summerville and she is loving her new role.
“I love teaching drama at Summerville High. It’s actually my dream job. I used to do it for free at a Community theater, which I still do because that’s a passion. But now I get paid to do what I love, so that’s great. High School Musical has had a great impact on Summerville and has had an amazing kick off for the fall season,” Ms. Kyla stated.

View Comments (1)
Donate to Beyond the Cave

Your donation will support the student journalists of Summerville High School . Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.