Future Goals in “Site” for Site Council

October 9, 2017

NEW MEMBERS. Two of site council's newest members Delaney O'Shea (Left) and Emma Burns (Right) pose for the camera. Emma stated,

NEW MEMBERS. Two of site council's newest members Delaney O'Shea (Left) and Emma Burns (Right) pose for the camera. Emma stated, "My goal is to make the school better, to have a say and to not have to leave all the decisions up to the administration."

One Wednesday a month, at 2:15 p.m, ideas are compiling and decisions are being made by the Site Council that affect Summerville High student body and campus. Site Council is a group of people on the Summerville campus who make decisions regarding the student body.

Trichelle Clark is the Summerville High School Librarian. She takes the minutes and notes of the Site Council meetings.

“Site council is a group of staff, students, and community members, including parents, that meet together and go over things like new policies, schedules, curriculum: anything that affects our campus, ” stated Clark. “We ask questions like: what benefits does this have to the students? It’s troubleshooting and refining things before it goes before the board; who has the final say.”

Site council gives the opportunity for students to speak up and make an impact on the school.

Junior Emma Burns is one of the newest site council members.

She stated, “My goal is to make the school better, to have a say and to not have to leave all the decisions up to the administration. ”

Burns enjoyed the obligations and responsibilities that came along with site council.

“I joined to hear not the problems, but the stuff out school has to decide, to share the students perspective on the decision- so students can have their voice,” she stated.

Junior Delaney O’ Shea is also one of the newest site council members.

She said, “We are involved in a lot of things, so we hear a lot of different opinions. It’s nice.”

Deputy Principal Mr. Sweitzer is in charge of the comprehensive school wide safety plan, which includes the ALICE training that takes place at Summerville.

“As the deputy principal, I think it’s good that I attend as many different meetings as I can. Site Council is the group of folks I work with to create and modify the safety plan. Students who are interested would be welcome to attend,” he stated.

To hear some of the decisions the school makes, join in on the next Site Council meeting, which is Wednesday, October 11, at 2:15 p.m. in the teachers’ lounge.

Beyond the Cave • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in