• September 15Cinderella Play Friday, 11/17, at 7 PM and Saturday, 11/18, at 2 and 7 PM

Filed under Feature, News

The Summer Storm

FROSTED.+A+ridge+line+glistens+with+snowfall+after+the+season%27s+first+storm.+Later+this+year%2C+these+trees+and+ridges+will+be+completely+buried+in+snow+as+the+storms+of+winter+fully+set+in.+
FROSTED. A ridge line glistens with snowfall after the season's first storm. Later this year, these trees and ridges will be completely buried in snow as the storms of winter fully set in.

Jesse Hart-McNeal

Jesse Hart-McNeal

With summer winding down and coming to an end, preparations for fall begin. However, Mother Nature seems to want to skip it entirely. On sept 21, the last day of summer, Tuolumne County experienced the first snowstorm of the 2017-18 season with hail sleet, and roughly two inches of snow falling down to around 5000 feet elevation, covering lower than the base of Dodge Ridge and up.

This same storm is responsible for the early closure of the Sonora Pass, and whether or not it will reopen remains to be seen. Regardless, this is good for halting the drought that has, up until last year, run rampant.

If strong precipitation patterns continue through fall and winter, snow sports enthusiasts may just be granted the biggest season in recent history.

Jesse Hart-McNeal
SNOWMELT. Due to the combination of strikingly early snow, and the weather remaining relatively warm, many streams are being refilled after their summer low.

Jesse Hart-McNeal
FLURRY. A wave of crisp snowflakes dust the trees of Sonora pass as a flurry of ice passes through the air. Smaller snowfall followed the large deposits of snow that came as the storm passed overhead.

Jesse Hart-McNeal
FROSTED. A ridge line glistens with snowfall after the season’s first storm. Later this year, these trees and ridges will be completely buried in snow as the storms of winter fully set in.

Jesse Hart-McNeal
TREACHEROUS. The storm experienced on the last day of summer deposited roughly two inches of snow. Doing such, covered roads, and caught snow plows and sightseers off guard with slippery roads after having experienced 90+ degree weather the majority of the month prior.

The Summer Storm