Outlook on the Season

Varsity Football Season

September 20, 2017

All Photos by Matt Hartwig

KICK OFF. Senior Kyle McCarver with the kick off for the Bears. This is McCarver’s fourth year playing for the Bears, and first year as kicker.

As the school year starts, so does the football season at Summerville High. The Bears have had an impressive start to the year, defeating Denair, Mariposa, Ripon Christian and Hughson, making them undefeated in preseason. With such success early on, the players are feeling confident moving into the regular season.

When asked how their victories so far will help them in the upcoming games, starting quarterback Michael Litzler commented.

He stated, “Everybody’s gonna be confident with their abilities and what they can do, and now we know we can beat teams that are pretty good.”

Another factor in Summerville’s success is Nick Veach, the only sophomore playing on varsity this year. Veteran varsity players are happy to have him on the team and think that he is a good fit position-wise.

OFFENSIVE LINE. Bears offensive line ready to stop the Grizzlies defense and preparing to gain another first down.

“I’m giving them time to rest so when they want to come back in they’re rested and can do what they need to do,” said Veach.

As well as giving veteran players time to recuperate, he has scored two touchdowns of his own this season.

League has a different set of challenges that come with it. The games matter more and the competition is tougher, but the team has been preparing themselves for the rigorous games to come.

CAUGHT. Senior Luke Fulkerson caught a pass from junior Michael Litzler. Fulkerson is ready to gain more yards for Bears.

“Our practices are based more on fundamentals and not on preparing for the team we play next week.”

— Jared Brick (12)

By honing the necessary skills and improving their strategies, the Bears hope to beat teams that they had trouble with last year. Calaveras was the name on everyone’s lips. With their size and speed, they will surely prove a worthy match-up for Summerville. Not to be forgotten is Summerville’s cross town rival, Sonora High, who are always on top of their game.

Overall, the team is confident they will have a successful season this year and are prepared to play underneath the Friday night lights.

WHO YOU LOOKIN’ AT. Senior Gabe Walker heads to the line to gear up for another hopeful Bear’s first down.

BLOCK. Junior Cameron Trail blocked a Mariposa linemen attempting to stop the run.

Beyond the Cave • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in