Baseball Season Springs Forward

BASEBALL. The Summerville High Baseball team sports the Summerville baseball team logo. According to senior Sam Grider, the logo brings together the team. He stated, “The logo has become our centerpiece of the team. The orange and black colors obviously stand for our school colors, but it means more than that. It helps our team feel connected with the school.”

Haleigh Grabowski, Reporter

As the soccer and basketball seasons for the bears come to a close, baseball season, among other spring sports, comes to a start. The season started in late February with five away games before finally hosting a game on their home field at Summerville.

As for how the JV and Varsity teams are handling the beginning of the season, the teams have balanced losses with wins so far, and are very determined to gain more victories as the season progresses. Freshman Brody Flannery described his first year experience so far on the JV team.

“The coaches are great. I think once we really connect as a team, we’ll do really well this season,” said Flannery.

When asked about the current season and team efforts, another JV player, Sophomore Jeshua Sanders stated,“I think we have the potential to do great this season and gain a lot of wins, we just have to work harder and have a strong bond within the teams.”

As for the Varsity team, the roster has six juniors and 11 seniors playing this season, ensuring a strong approach for next season as the senior varsity players are in their last season of playing for Summerville. Senior varsity player Jeran Fleming is currently on his 13th year of his baseball career, but is planning to continue his career after graduating.

“It kinda sucks that it’s my last year, but this season is looking pretty good and I think if we just focus on our fundamentals, we’ll do really well,” stated Fleming.

When asked about for any advice to leave for the younger baseball players, Senior varsity player Connor McGee stated, “Just keep putting in effort and have fun with it.” Summerville High students and staff often attend home games and show their support for Summerville sport teams, as another voice of the ‘Ville, Deputy Principal Sweitzer stated, “It looks like we have a number of great pitchers, plenty of good hitters, and when you put it all together, they’ll do really well this season”.

The bears baseball team season will continue into May. Come support the bears at their next home game against Amador, Thursday Mar. 29th at 3:30p.m.

Baseball Season Springs Forward