Acadec Loses 14-Year Win Streak, But Will Compete at State

The Acadec team smiles as they prepare to compete on Saturday February 3rd. Even though the team took second nearly half of these students are moving on to the state competition later this year.

Matthew Hartwig, Photo Editor

The Academic Decathlon, otherwise known as Acadec, is a class which focuses on studying the ins and outs of a specific region or time period in order to take part in a rigorous competition at the beginning of the second semester. This year, the competition fell on Saturday Feb. 3, and the team has been preparing with their practice essays and speeches.

Team members Alexis Simonson stated, “We study seven subtopics under one main topic and our main topic is Africa.”

Erika Simonson, another team member and sister to Alexis, stated, “In the competition, we go and they test on each category and we also have to do three different speaking parts.”

The competition is the crux of the academic decathlon’s school year. It begins with an early morning drive and registration. After registration, the team then goes to complete two of the seven tests as an entire group. After the group finishes, they then split up while one group continues with the remainder of the test and the other goes to compete in the speech section of the competition. The speech competition consists of three parts: prepared speech, impromptu and an interview section.

The competition is a grueling nearly eight hour event that requires the entire team to be knowledgeable and on the top of their game the entire time.

Keeley Niday stated, “The competition was a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be, I met a couple friends from different schools and it was an overall good experience with people who were there like me, not completely nerds, that wanted to be there for academic reasons.”

Niday medaled in four different categories at the competition and is moving on to the state competition.

She stated, “I am super excited for it, at first I wasn’t very enthusiastic about the competition part of the class but going there and seeing how intense everyone else was, made me super excited about it,”

Summerville’s team has held the title of Acadec regional champion for 14 years and this year the same was hoped for. The class, however, has been subjected to many changes in the previous years. Through two different teachers and many different team members, the title remained. This 2017-18 school year, the class was taken over by Mr. Brull and even though Summerville did not claim the overall title of first place, many competitors are moving on to the state composition at a later date.

Team members advancing include Neilson Holland, Wylie Hoyt, Gavin Williams, Keeley Niday, Katie Maxson, Michala Scholkowfsky, Aneke Harris, Marie Schermister and Sarahann Caldera.

Many of the team members feel that changes need to be made in order to ensure of success for future Acadec teams in their competition.

Senior Gabby Infelise stated, “The point of Acadec is to be a team, and I hope in the next few years that Mr. Brull can create it into a team equally divided among the three sections, varsity, scholastic, and honors. In the past, even if we were not all friends, we were united as a team and the goal was to win Acadec.”

Summerville’s team is gearing up for the following years of Acadec.

Junior Michael Litzler stated, “I think it’s cool, so if there are other kids who are pretty smart in a lot of subjects they should join.”

Infelise had a similar opinion on how students should join the future Acadec team.

She said, “People should really try out for Acadec because it is fun and we do have a lot of good times as a team.”

Summerville’s Acadec state competition team will go to Sacramento to compete in the state competition from Mar. 23 through Mar. 25.