Sophomores Triumph in Powderbuff Tournament

VOLLEY. The freshmen and sophomores rally the volleyball at the annual powderbuff game. Freshman Body Taylor enjoyed participating in the game, and anticipates returning to the court next year. He stated, “I did powderbuff because lot of my friends were doing it and next year we will definitely work harder.”

Amanda Frese

Amanda Frese

Amanda Frese, Copy/content Editor

On Monday, Jan. 30, the annual night rally and powderbuff game commenced at 6:30 p.m. in the gymnasium at Summerville High School to launch winter formal festivities. The powderbuff tournament was a long awaited competition, in which the four classes formed teams of male volleyball players, and battled to receive first place.

Reminiscent of powderpuff, the sophomores beat the seniors 15-13 in their final match, and received the title of powderbuff champions. Sophomore Jordyn Marquez was the announcer at the volleyball game, and was proud of her sophomore class for receiving first place.

“I was the announcer and my favorite part was watching the sophomore’s win, because we won in powderbuff and powderpuff,” she stated. “So the seniors can’t say that they even came close to beating us.”

Sophomore powderbuff participant Nick Veach, enjoyed winning with his fellow classmates, and hopes to return to the volleyball court next year.

“I participated because it seemed fun to do, and all the guys got to play volleyball instead of the girls,” he stated. “We beat the seniors and the freshmen. Overall, the sophomores did an awesome job.”

As the sophomores have established themselves as a juggernaut of athletic competitions between classes, the freshmen hope to overtake them in future powderbuff tournaments. Freshman Brody Flannery predicts his class to be more dedicated next year, and more focused on beating the present sophomore class.

“I did powderbuff this year to show school spirit and have fun with my friends,” he stated. “I definitely plan on doing it next year. To beat the sophomores, we will schedule earlier practices, so we can bond together as a team and play better.”

With preparation already beginning for next year’s powderbuff tournament, Summerville awaits another year of winter formal excitement and powderbuff competitions.