Sleepless in Summerville: Who will be the 2018 valedictorian

Long nights of homework force students into a repeated rhythm of little to no sleep. Senior Haley Brower stated, “There were countless hours of very late nights and some nights where no sleep happened.” Clearly a lot of work goes into having good grades, and for some, it has payed off in a great way.

Jamie Hyder

Jamie Hyder

Jamie Hyder, Reporter

As the first semester of the school year comes to an end, this year’s senior class prepares for graduation and life after. Excitement is high and eagerness to graduate is among them all. However, for a few students, the excitement is at an extreme high.

For seniors Haley Brower, Gavin Williams and Claire Caldera, a new form of excitement has been brought into their lives as all three have been named in the top five of their class. For seven consecutive semesters, these three students have worked countless hours to be at the top of their class.

Such work leads to the coveted title, valedictorian.

Who will be this year’s valedictorian you might ask?

Mr. Atkins said, “The official valedictorian will not be announced until the end of February or March.”

Until then, we can take the time to catch up with the candidates and find out just how much work they have put into their studies.

Haley Brower, currently ranked number one in her class, talks about the great lengths she went to in order to keep her grades up, even if it meant putting her homework before friends, family, and extracurriculars.

She stated, “I wouldn’t say it was worth the sleepless nights, but I would say that I have wanted this since the third grade and just knowing that I was able to push myself to that level of discomfort gives me some pride in what I did.”

Such hard work has also been displayed by Claire Caldera, who explained that she worked extremely hard to stay on top of her studies, though not quite to the same lengths that some others may have.

She said, “I worked very hard to keep my grades up in high school but not to the point of over stressing myself out. I can’t do the whole staying up until one in the morning thing.”

Caldera seemed to have found a good balance in her life, a skill that can be very valuable going through school.

Senior Gavin Williams, talked about why he wanted to keep his grades up and tells of what drove him to work hard in and out of the classroom.

He stated, “My parents looked at my grades every night.”

It is clear that all three students have put their best foot forward into their studies for the past four years, any of the three would be deserving of the title of valedictorian and the opportunity to speak at their own high school graduation in June.