Mr. Summerville Man Challenge

MR.+SUMMERVILLE.++Levi+Izzo+was+the+winner+of+the+both+the+talent+portion+and+the+title+%22Mr.+Summerville.%22++When+asked+how+he+prepared+for+the+show+he+said%2C+%22I+practiced+the+individual+tricks+for+a+week%2C+but+the+magic+for+a+couple+of+years+because+it+is+all+connected.%22++
MR. SUMMERVILLE.  Levi Izzo was the winner of the both the talent portion and the title

MR. SUMMERVILLE. Levi Izzo was the winner of the both the talent portion and the title "Mr. Summerville." When asked how he prepared for the show he said, "I practiced the individual tricks for a week, but the magic for a couple of years because it is all connected."

Kenzie Hartwig, Layout Editor

On Saturday, Jan. 27, ten talented men danced onto the stage to the song “Let’s Hear it for the Boys” beginning the third annual Mr. Summerville Man Challenge.  The night started out with a few different dress up themes and rounds down the catwalk, followed by the talent portion, and ending with a formal appearance of the contestants who dressed in suits and answered an impromptu question.  

The performance was ran by MCs Grace Fulkerson and Jordyn Marquez. This was Fulkerson’s first year as an MC, but Marquez did it last year with her brother, Zach.  

“I really liked doing it with Grace and it’s fun to be with the boys even though they drive us crazy,” stated Marquez.

Marquez enjoyed the experience so much that she has already arranged and secured her spot as the MC for the next two years of her high school years.

“I just want to continue out the Marquez announcing legacy,” stated Marquez.

Senior Kevin Lund also made an appearance in the man challenge for the second time. Lund enjoys the challenge as it allowed for good times and laughter by all, some of his two favorite things.

“It’s an opportunity for me to have fun and be silly with my friends, and there is no boundary to how stupid it can be,” stated Lund.

Junior contestant Jason Vacarezza also commented on the comedy and light-heartedness of the event which has encouraged him to already start planning for next year’s event.

“I had a lot of fun,” Vacarezza stated. “I hope to win next year.”

Junior Levi Izzo, Mr. Summerville winner, stole the show with his magnificent magic tricks and impressive answer to his impromptu question. Izzo had chosen to participate in the challenge because it sounded like a good time, but did not expect to take home the crown.  

“I anticipated to do well in the talent portion, but I didn’t think I would win the whole thing,” Izzo explained.

Izzo completed four different card tricks as his talent, each one astonishing the audience and charming the judges. Junior Tami Avila, volunteered from the audience to be a part of one of Izzo’s tricks.  Avila was shocked as the trick unraveled.

“All I could think was, ‘how on earth did he do that?’” she stated.

Izzo became interested in magic in the seventh grade when he and Neilson Holland would challenge each other each day with a new trick.  He learned his first trick from his brother and continued to learn from online videos, but overtime Izzo has become aware of the best way to discover new tricks.

“I found that the really good ones, you have to read about,” he explained.

Along with the magic, there were many other entertaining talents including a piano mix up by Dominic Berger, a dance routine by Noah Spencer, hand walking by Mitchell Prevost, and many more.  When asked about his favorite part of the night, Prevost commented on Ben Larson’s talent.

“Levi went and got a card in an orange, and Ben followed up by building a tractor out of legos,” he stated. “That made me laugh.”

All in all, the third annual Mr. Summerville Man Challenge was a night of fun that will be remembered by all.

“It was hilarious as always,” stated Avila. “The boys always keep everyone in the audience laughing.”

JUST DANCE. The boys perform a choreographed dance created by Grace Fulkerson and Jordyn Marquez. The boys were taught the dance only hours before the performance, but they still were able to entertain . “They didn’t really do it right on stage, they skipped a huge part, but it still ended up very funny,” stated Marquez.

Mr. Summerville Man Challenge