[email protected] Sings Their Way to a Sweet Victory

SURREAL.+Jazz%408+performs+after+their+impressive+second+place+win.+For+these+artists+it+meant+hard+work+had+paid+off.+Junior+Sziszi+Hites+is+proud+of+her+group.+%E2%80%9CIt+was+really+hard+and+we+managed+to+pull+it+off+just+in+time%2C%E2%80%9D+she+said.+
SURREAL. Jazz@8 performs after their impressive second place win. For these artists it meant hard work had paid off. Junior Sziszi Hites is proud of her group. “It was really hard and we managed to pull it off just in time,” she said.

SURREAL. [email protected] performs after their impressive second place win. For these artists it meant hard work had paid off. Junior Sziszi Hites is proud of her group. “It was really hard and we managed to pull it off just in time,” she said.

Isabella Herrin, Reporter

The [email protected] and Harmonic Mix choirs started out 2018 with a bang. These choirs, who work hard in and out of class, have had some exciting events lately. The Folsom Jazz Festival, held in Folsom, Calif. was a home run for these choirs.

The Folsom Jazz Festival is where choirs are able to compete and improve. Junior Sziszi Hites, and a member of [email protected], described what this festival is all about.

She said, “A bunch of jazz groups get together from all over the place and do performances and they get clinicianed afterwords where one of judges takes you in another room and tells you what you can improve.”

Both choirs worked very hard to prepare for for this festival. Hites mentioned how now only did the choir work tirelessly, but they also only got the music three weeks ahead of competition.

“We got this new song about three weeks ago. It was really hard and we managed to pull it off just in time,” she said.

[email protected] was extremely successful in their efforts and were able to take home a second place win. Senior Lauren Brasesco, junior Forest Marion and Hites all won outstanding musicianship awards.

Harmonic Mix, the all-girls group, also competed at Folsom. The girls worked really hard on their music for the competition. Sophomore Emily Walters worked really hard, along with her other group members.

She said, “We spent a lot of time going over songs at our retreat.”

The girls did not place at Folsom, however some of them also won outstanding musicianship awards. sophomore Kaitlyn Semsen, senior Juliette Johnston and Emily Walters were all recipients of this award.

“It was for a solo I sang,” Walters said.

Not only have those in [email protected] been occupied with Folsom, but a few others are also preparing for the Northern California Honor Choir, or better known as the NorCal honor choir. This is where many high schools come together and learn together, then have a big performance at the end. Junior Haley Weeks is excited to learn more and meet new people.

“I’m looking forward to working with other people from different schools,” she said.

Both of our high level choirs here at Summerville High School have been extremely successful in their efforts lately. As the choirs are finishing off their competition season they are still working just as hard to be the best they can be.

WINNERS. (from left to right) Kaitlyn Semsen, Juliette Johnston and Emily Walters were all awarded outstanding musicianship awards for solos performed during their group pieces. “It was for a solo I sang,” stated Walters.