90°

Senior Ditch Day

How did seniors enjoy their day off?
    Cielo+Bueno+visited+the+lake+with+her+friends+on+senior+ditch+day+and+took+a+picture+of+the+sunset.+
    Cielo Bueno
    Cielo Bueno visited the lake with her friends on senior ditch day and took a picture of the sunset.

Ah yes, Senior Ditch Day: the unofficial, definitely not school-sanctioned holiday for our oldest students here at Summerville. 

At many schools, the senior class chooses a day to skip school, under the philosophy that if few or no seniors attend classes, they will not have work assigned on that day. 

Senior Ditch Days can prove chaotic, and this year many seniors struggled to understand on which day they were supposed to skip school. 

Originally, Friday May 31 was going to be Ditch Day this year, but many decided to change the day because of the Student of the Year Awards Ceremony happening on that day. 

This year, Senior Ditch Day took place on May 30. Beyond the Cave investigated to find out what seniors did on their day off and whether participation was enthusiastic or not. 

Cielo Bueno shared that she went with several friends to downtown and the lake. 

“I went to downtown Sonora…[we also went] to a little tiny private lake and I swam in it. [I went with] Angela Lares-Guerrero, Kiah Hull, and Angela’s boyfriend,” shared Bueno. 

Meanwhile, Kyley Graham also enjoyed a day full of fun activities.

“We went paddle boarding at the lake, got breakfast, and [got] dinner…[I went with] Kaitlyn, Sharkey, Faith, Lexi, and Bri,” stated  Graham.

However, some students participated in somewhat mundane activities during their day off, using the extra time to catch up on various activities. 

“I slept,” shared Jack Hosek. 

“I did homework,” announced Ali Johnson. 

This year, Senior Ditch Day also happened to coincide with a field trip for Summerville High’s Orange Crush Band, who went to Great America. 

Between the celebratory day off and the field trip, attendance in senior-dominated classes was low. 

Many of Senior Seminar and World History teacher Mr. Atkins’ classes are made up of only seniors, leading to a profound senior ditch day for his classes. 

“I had four seniors here, so yes, I believe a lot did [skip school on Senior Ditch Day]” shared Mr. Atkins. 

His opinion of Senior Ditch Day was positive overall, and he suggested that seniors generally end school after their celebratory Grad Nite trip. 

“Go do it…I think it would make more sense just to end school earlier for seniors, like when they’re done with their Grad Nite just be done,” continued Mr. Atkins. 

It seems overall that Senior Ditch Day will continue to be a yearly tradition for many not only here at Summerville High but in schools across the country.