92°

2024 Motherlode Round-Up Parade

When+it+comes+to+fun+and+traditional+Mothers+Day+activities%2C+parades+are+one+good+way+to+spend+the+holiday.+Its+a+great+way+to+see+your+friends%2C+see+your+family%2C+see+people+around+and+celebrate+all+of+the+mothers%2C+%28senior%29+Cierra+Bettencourt+shared.++Summerville+High+participated+this+year+in+the+annual+Mothers+Day+parade%2C+marching+down+Washington+St.+
    Darla Vogt
    When it comes to fun and traditional Mother’s Day activities, parades are one good way to spend the holiday. “It’s a great way to see your friends, see your family, see people around and celebrate all of the mothers,” (senior) Cierra Bettencourt shared. Summerville High participated this year in the annual Mother’s Day parade, marching down Washington St.

The Mother Lode Round-Up Parade kicks off in Downtown Sonora at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 13, and will feature nearly 200 parade entries marching and trotting up the entire length of Washington Street. 

As for it being one of the top parades in California, it contains many different entries: companies, dancers, fancy cars, and bands.

Coming from Summerville High, the Orange Crush Band will be participating in the Motherlode Parade this year, with a fun burst of colors, they will be performing Barbie Girl and be dressed out in lots of pink. 

“I think it’s always fun to get out there. I think it’s the second largest parade in California so getting out and being able to have my student musicians play for people, that’s what we practice for. We are a performance based class,” band teacher of SHS, Mr. Johnson, shares his opinions on the parade and his class of band students. 

Senior, Cierra Bettencourt, student of Mr. Johnson’s band class is currently in her drum major and will be attending her 4th parade. 

This year, Bettencourt and her former band members will be dressed in different attire, fitting their theme of this year: Barbie. 

Bettencourt dives deeper into this subject. 

“I’m very excited, this year is going to be super fun. We usually wear our very heavy sweaty uniforms that kind of suck and they’re not fun to have. So we are super excited to wear our Barbie ‘get out’ and have fun with it.” 

SHS band is attending parades throughout the year and through all seasons. This one in particular will be before summer. This means that it is one of the parades with higher temperatures. 

Bettencourt adds to this idea and shares her thoughts. 

“I dislike that the Christmas parade goes down hill and that they make the hottest parade [Mother’s day parade] go uphill, that is my least favorite part and I’ll always complain about that,” stated Bettencourt. 

The Motherlode Parade can make planning difficult for some people to spend time with their mother, wife, sister, etc. This is caused by the parade always being held on Mothers Day.

Mr. Johnson explains furthermore about this topic. 

“My biggest gripe about the parade is that it is on Mother’s Day. So it just makes it really hard to take my wife out of town and go do personal stuff. But it’s just the sacrifice that we have to make,” explained Mr. Johnson.  

Summerville High plays a part in the Mother’s Day Parade each year, supporting and reflecting on the love and compassion maternal figures provide to those closest.

Remember, the Parade begins at 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 13 and there will be a crowd so get there early to find a place to park and to stake your claim on a place to watch along Washington Street.