The Ultimate Shutout

After being asked to leave the stands, all the fans lined the outside of the fence on the opposite side of the field. They began to yell louder, not only to be able to be heard, but also to motivate the players.

This past Tuesday, January 17th, Summerville High School’s girls varsity soccer team played an eventful game at home against Amador. This has been the first time in four years since Summerville has won a game against Amador.

Varsity coach, Dave Marquez says, “It was a great game. We’ve been working hard on getting better and playing at a faster pace and it showed tonight.”

The team has been working hard with training, conditioning, and drills since a while before the season started. This game was different from the other games so far this season, and really tested the strength of the team. On top of the game being delayed, due to an official showing up late to referee the game, there were a lot of calls made toward the home team, while barely any were made toward the opposing team.

“They were playing the players not the ball, which is also illegal,” states senior varsity player, Morgan Wilkie. “That’s why I was getting frustrated because the refs were calling it on us but most of the time it wasn’t us that was pushing from behind, it was obviously the other team.”

There were several injuries on both teams due to rough players making illegal moves, but the girls continued to play strong and fair against the other team. About halfway through the game, the official gave the order to clear all fans from the stands before the game could continue.

“The first thing I want to say is that I was really impressed with how well our fans responded to that request, because the request was unreasonable in my opinion, to clear the stands,” Kellene Ditler, Summerville administrator, states, “I think that’s a pretty big responsibility and I also think that as an official you have to have a thick skin, and know that if it’s a game as intense as that, there are going to be people that are cranky and are voicing their opinion, and you have to tune that out unless its over the top.” 

The Summerville fans were very cooperative with the referee’s and with administration when told to leave the stands. There officials went straight to administration asking for the stands to be cleared, when only several fans had been voicing their opinions. But in the end of the game, Summerville high school’s team won the game 3-2.

The Ultimate Shutout