82°

Prom Dress Up Days

Lee Suggs
    For “Dress Like a Teacher Day,” this junior, Jonah Fowler, decided to go all out with an impression of Mr. Bainbridge. “Fowler dressed up as Mr. Bainbridge and hit it out of the park and it was amazing,” said Maggie Beck.

Every year at Summerville High there are new dress up days to go with the week of prom. This year there was a theme to some of them while others were fun and silly.

For Monday, April 29th, it was “A Trip to Greece or Wear Blue,” to shine a little light on the trip Mr. Atkins as well as Mr. Bainbridge are organizing for students this summer.

“I saw a ton of people in togas which I thought was funny,” explained junior Kelly Plaisted.

For Tuesday, April 30th, it was “Beach Day or Wear Yellow,” making it a fun and enjoyable day for people to dress up as it has started to get into better, sunnier weather.

On Wednesday, May 1st, it was “Dress Like a Teacher or Wear Pink,” (as for staff they needed to dress as students) which made it an incredibly funny day to see the roles reversed between the students and staff.

“Dressing like a student was the most exciting for me. The moment I saw that email about the days I ordered my wig so I could dress like Mateo Murphy because he’s epic” said Attendance Secretary, Maggie Beck.

Thursday, May 2nd, it was “Star Wars vs. Tangled,” showing the battle between the top two prom themes which ended up being Festival of Lanterns/Tangled themed.

“My least favorite dress up day was probably Star Wars vs Tangled because I’m not sure how to dress up for that one, but I did see River Macias who had a really cool onesie on for Star Wars” explained freshman Ali Talavera.

“I liked Tangled vs Star Wars because it was something that we haven’t done before and it leads up to prom,” said Plaisted.

As for Friday, May 3rd, as always, it was “Spirit Day,” (Black and Orange) to show spirit with Summerville High’s colors. 

One of the most prominent known people to take part in the dress up days and going all out for them is always, Attendance Secretary, Maggie Beck.

When asked about the dress up days that were chosen Maggie responded.

“I’ve enjoyed all of them so far. Star Wars vs Tangled was a little hard for me because I don’t own anything like that but I went all out and wore some red.”

Beck explained further why she enjoys the dress up days so much.

“I was the rally commissioner when I was in high school and so I’m a big one for school spirit. I dress up to support the school and show people that it’s good to have fun.”

It seems that this prom dress up week was a success for 2024 and will definitely hold a high standard for next year’s prom spirit week.