Earning the Bare Minimum

DOLLARS.+As+the+years+have+gone+by%2C+minimum+wage+has+increased.+
DOLLARS. As the years have gone by, minimum wage has increased.

Haleigh Grabowski

Haleigh Grabowski

Haleigh Grabowski, Reporter

In the year of 1938, the typical minimum worker wage was $0.25. Fast-forward to the current year of 2018, in which the minimum wage was $11.00 in the state of California.

The minimum wage amount varies in each state, but all are typically within the same range of each other. There are many bills, petitions, and laws that have been put into place by citizens that request for a raise of minimum wage. For example, The Minimum Wage Act (Article 19 of the New York State Labor Law) required that all employees in the state of New York received at least $9.70 an hour that began on Dec. 31, 2016. Minimum wage rates can differ upon factors such as industry, region, and the size of a business.

Many students here at Summerville High work a part-time job after school and on weekends. For those that earn minimum wage, many believe that they should be earning more for the amount of work they put in.

Senior Jadon Funk, who earns minimum wage at his part-time job, said that minimum wage should be raised up at least a dollar more than it currently is.

“The work I do requires me to be on my feet for eight hours, sometimes more, and the strain that puts on me and my body is sometimes not worth 11 dollars an hour,” said Funk.

Another hard-working student is senior Alyssa Rogers. When asked whether or not minimum wage should be raised, Rogers stated concerns regarding the raise of minimum wage.

“It’s hard to say, because if you raise minimum wage then inflation will increase,” she stated.

Earning the Bare Minimum