Summerville Wrestles ROP

PASSION. Cayden shares why he enjoys wrestling. “It teaches you goals for the rest of your life and it teaches both mental and physical strength.” States Schulz.

Photo via wikimedia under Create Commons Licence

Greta Thompson, Reporter

On Wednesday, Jan. 3, Summerville’s wrestling team drove down to Calaveras County to play against the boys at Rite of Passage.

Sierra Ridge Academy offers a normal schooling education for at-risk teens through a program called ROP. Skill development, prescriptive and independent treatment, and student achievements are all goals for the teens at ROP. The school gives the opportunity to engage in various high school experiences like sports. A possibility to approach useful skills for life is wrestling.

Sophomore Cayden Schulz, at Summerville, shared his views on visiting ROP.

Schulz said, “Going there was really fun. Their campus is in the middle of nowhere, on top of a mountain and you see for miles.”

The wrestlers at ROP have not had it easy. According to serbiaridgeacademy.com, from drug and alcohol abuse, parental abuse, depression, these boys are rough. How did Summerville’s wrestlers handle this?

Schulz stated, “They’re really strong and tough. They don’t know many moves and most of them don’t have any experience wrestling but they’re always a good fight.”

Wrestling is not an easy sport. It takes focus, concentration, mental and physical strength. With one-on-one intimidation, how is this helped or improved?

“I usually say a quick prayer before I go on the mat and then after that just go out there and wrestle,” stated Schulz.

Summerville Wrestles ROP