64°

SHS Boys Soccer: Journey to Semi-Finals

The+Boys+Soccer+Team+poses+with+their+coaches+and+SHS+cheerleaders+after+hosting+their+first+ever+state+playoff+game.+
The Boys Soccer Team poses with their coaches and SHS cheerleaders after hosting their first ever state playoff game.

The Summerville High’s Boys Varsity Soccer team recently made it to the Northern California State Semi Finals and have lots to share.

The Bears started their journey by competing with their league and placing first. After winning the league, they then moved onto sections, taking first place as well.

After winning sections the Bears moved onto the Northern California State Semi Finals at Pebble Beach, in Monterey, Calif.

Mr. Suggs congratulated them by asking all classes to come out of their classes during the first period to wish them luck on their way to Pebble Beach.

When the Bears arrived, they had lots of adrenaline pumping and were very excited to compete, possibly being one step closer to winning state.

Sophomore Mason Stokes shared his thoughts about their opponent, Stevenson High.

“They were super competitive, having that private school, they were mostly a travel team. They passed the ball really well and all of that,” Stokes stated.

Playing soccer for about 12 years, Cooper Knobloch added his opinion.

“They were pretty competitive. I mean, it’s a big game so how can you not be? They were an aggressive team, and had some really aggressive players,” Knobloch said.

Having to play a difficult team sparked some thoughts about how far the Bears have made it in their season this year.

Jake Boyd dove deeper into these thoughts.

“When we found out we were going to finals, it didn’t seem very real how far we were going in the season. Then we won finals, and that was really cool for us as a team cause we never really been that far. I think that was the fourth time Summerville, in history, has gone there. Then going to state it kind of felt unreal, and I guess I didn’t realize before that you could go that far,” said Boyd.

The Bears had an amazing season this year, although there is always something that the team could have done better.

Ali Talavera, a freshman on Varsity, mentions that the Bears did do good, despite the fact that there were a few flaws, one being communication.

“I’m glad we were all able to come together and do really well. One thing that we struggled a little bit on was just communicating. We had good communication, but we definitely could have done better,” stated Talavera.

From the start of the season, the Bears thought they would just be playing in the league, and are now still shocked they almost made it to state. This soccer season has been a big journey for all of them.