Eat Turkey and Get Out: Thanksgiving Survival

GOBBLE GOBBLE: Goes the turkey? No, goes the family members. They always seem to be talking. Jackson Flannery, a sophomore at Summerville, explains his opinion on Thanksgiving conversation. Flannery stated,

GOBBLE GOBBLE: Goes the turkey? No, goes the family members. They always seem to be talking. Jackson Flannery, a sophomore at Summerville, explains his opinion on Thanksgiving conversation. Flannery stated, "I don't like small talk. I think you should just get down to the legit conversation."

Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license

Araya Hopp, Staff Reporter

The holidays are coming up and they have one thing in common; family. Seeing family can be joyful and fun, however, these people can end up getting on your nerves. Invasive questions, annoying conversations and embarrassing scenes can all be avoided this Thanksgiving.

Justin Reedy, a campus supervisor at Summerville Union High School, gives advice on this upcoming holiday and how to get through it.

“Don’t show up,” stated Reedy.

As useful as that is, he further explained what to do to ensure your survival, especially with those crazy family members.

He said, “Be yourself and stay quiet.”

The arrival: You, or they, walk through the door and you know what’s coming; arms opened, puckered lips–get ready for hugs and kisses. Now this is not even the worst part, it’s the questions that come next which become more aggravating each year. The ‘how’ve you been,’ ‘how’s school,’ ‘how tall are you,’ or the interrogation about your love life.

Now you are wondering how you could possibly avoid this interaction. Here’s one tip; bring a buffer. Whether that be ‘safe’ topics to talk about, or an actual human, like a friend, sibling, a boyfriend or a girlfriend. Let those family members talk their ears off instead of yours. During Thanksgiving, it’s every man for himself.

The dinner: The hardest and longest part of the event. During this time, the talking does not stop, and the people do not leave, they are stuck in the same room as you, sitting next to you for what feels like hours.

But how could you ever avoid this with them on all sides of you, I mean, a buffer can’t distract them all. As soon as possible, stuff your face, literally. When someone asks something, put more food in. When you’re waiting for more food dishes or perhaps dessert, close your eyes, pretend you’re so full that you need to concentrate before eating more. Constant chewing will make sure you can avoid this long haul of conversation called dinner.

The crazy relatives and their scenes: You know what I’m talking about. Those relatives that always end up acting out of line, acting crazy, having too much to drink, or just being rowdy. Here’s what you usually do; leave the room, immediately! But there are better things to do in a case like this.

Delaney Snyder, a sophomore at Summerville, had a suggestion on what to do in these situations.

“If it’s entertaining, record it and use it against them in the morning. It’s what I do sometimes,” said Snyder.

Black Friday comes after Thanksgiving and apparently, now, blackmail does too. Just make sure no one gets a video of you acting crazy, you don’t want the boot on the other foot.

Good luck this Thanksgiving, you are going to need it!