Orange Pi Robotics

ROBOTICS. As Summerville High's Orange Pi Robotics team begins preparations and long think sessions in order to create a Robot to compete in this years world wide game. The team builds, breakdowns and rebuilds over and over in order to create the best Robot they can by competition time. This will take over 1500 man under the leadership of Mr. Tucker and determination of the entire team.

Matt Hartwig

Matt Hartwig

Matthew Hartwig, Sports Editor

For many years, Summerville High has been home to an active and successful Robotics team. Every year, the team works as many as 1500 man-hours over weekly meetings and late nights in order to build a fully functional robot which they will then use to compete in a multipart game. As the Summerville High robotics team prepares for their 2017-18 season, the team begins to build their robot in order to compete in this year’s game, Relic Recovery.

“Summerville’s robotics team is apart of the First Tech Challenge (FTC) which is an amazing Robotics group that holds competitions all around the world and it consists of 16,000 teams from around the world,” stated senior Wylie Hoyt.

Last year, the Summerville team managed to be in the top 4 percent of all 16000 teams world wide. Though the team consists of many new members, veteran members hold out hope for an equally as successful season this year.

This year, Summerville’s team racks their brains and begins to try and design a robot to stand up to all of the challenges presented in this years game.

“I practically build the robot along with Wylie and Liam,” said sophomore Colton Danicourt.

This process consists of bending and fabricating a metal frame along with many other components. The build-team then works side by side with the programmers in order to create the most advance robot possible in order to complete the task set before them adequately.

The game will consist of a series of tasks that must be completed in under three minutes.

“The first thirty seconds must be completely autonomous,” stated Hoyt.

This is done through creating program for the robot to follow without any influence from the team.

“This year is much more challenging, but I believe that it will be better because it is more challenging and we are doing pretty good right now for having the more challenging game,” said Danicourt.

When asking about any improvements the team hopes to make this year, the unanimous response was funding.

“One robot last year was worth about 2.4 million dollars and sponsored by both google and NASA and ours was right around 4,000 dollars,” said Hoyt.

Orange Pi Robotics