• September 15Cinderella Play Friday, 11/17, at 7 PM and Saturday, 11/18, at 2 and 7 PM

Going Once, Going Twice

Parking Spots to be auctioned off at Summerville

FRESH PAINT. Freshly painted numbers line the outside parking spots, ready to be auctioned off.

Maddie Alexander, Reporter

ASB has decided to implement a parking lot auction for the 2017-2018 school year to help fundraise for upcoming projects and events. The auction will work in the same way auctions are typically run, the highest bidder on the parking spot wins. The auction will be held the week before Homecoming during lunch. There will be numbered spaces that will only be for seniors and other spots that will be able to be purchased by juniors or seniors. Once purchased, the parking spot can only be occupied by the student that won the auction.

The bidding starts at $20 and a $5 parking permit must have already been purchased as well as all parking paperwork must be turned in. Many students share one of two opinions, they either like the idea of the auction or they do not.

Senior Morgan Wilkie said “I don’t think it’s fair, I know that only some of the spots are being auctioned, but the remainder of the spots are going to be a fight to get everyday and that’s really unfair to kids who don’t have the money for them.”

Senior Connor McGee supports the idea of the auction, he says “I think it’s a great way to raise money for the school. The fact that the students are able to control where they park is a way to gain independence and a sense of the way life is. Sometimes you have to pay for what you want.” Says McGee. “It’s also a nice way to secure a spot in the parking lot, as if the student now owns a piece of property that they spent money on and earned. It’s also a plus to have not all spots auctioned. I know that I won’t bid for a spot because I don’t quite care where I park but for those that want to be in the front, I think the auction will settle any disputes over parking for the future.”

Going Once, Going Twice