• September 15Cinderella Play Friday, 11/17, at 7 PM and Saturday, 11/18, at 2 and 7 PM

Orange Crush: A band and a family

UNITY: Here the band comes together to play music for their school. Sixth year band member and senior Michala Scholkowfsky stated,

UNITY: Here the band comes together to play music for their school. Sixth year band member and senior Michala Scholkowfsky stated, "Coming together and knowing that it's a place where people are going to be safe, that's what makes it a family."

Araya Hopp

Araya Hopp

Araya Hopp

Araya Hopp
PERFORMANCE: The band waits for the command during the Summerville vs. Sonora football game.

At Summerville High School, there are multiple extracurricular activities students can get involved in; sports, theater, choir or clubs, just to name a few. The Orange Crush band at Summerville, however, is more than just an elective.

Imagine this, you’re on the bus, almost to the location of an important band parade when someone announces they made an honest mistake and forgot the needed command whistles for the performance. What would you do? Panic? How would you feel? Annoyed? Frustrated? Angry, even? The Orange Crush Band worked through it and successfully marched through the streets of Groveland.

Freshman alto saxophone player Ariana Hertz, explained her perspective of the situation.

“We had to watch for the commands. But, it was nice because you could rely on people and they came through,” said Hertz.

“It’s very open. You can talk to people about your problems. It’s like one big family,” said Julian Tillman. A fourth year saxophone player and sophomore at Summerville.

As a band member of the Orange Crush band, Julian Tillman later discussed the beginning of his musical career and how he grew as a musical person as result of being a part of this band.

Jeff Johnson, teacher of the band for the past seven years at Summerville, has seen lifelong connections because of the friendships students make within the band. Johnson describes the necessity of these relationships when taking part in Summerville’s band.

“When you’re asking kids to reach beyond what they think they’re capable of, you have to have that support system and you have to feel like it’s safe to take those chances and not be worried if you’re gonna make a mistake that people are going to chide you or make fun of you,” said Johnson.

The band has been a part of Summerville for decades, it has been a place of friendship, growth and support, but most importantly it has been a second family to the students and faculty who take part in the Orange Crush band.

Orange Crush: A band and a family