• September 15Cinderella Play Friday, 11/17, at 7 PM and Saturday, 11/18, at 2 and 7 PM

Filed under News

Summerville Lays Down the Law

Inaugural year of Mock Trial Club

Haleigh Grabowski
FOUNDERS. Caleb Britt, Mr. Patey, and Lauren Brasesco (left to right) are excited for the first year of the Mock Trial Club.

Haleigh Grabowski
The Mock Trial Club is a new addition to the Summerville High campus this year. Created by Mr. Patey and co-led by seniors Lauren Brasesco and Caleb Britt, this captivating club focuses on introducing students to the field of law by participating in a proposed law case.

This year, the club will be working on a first-degree murder case. They will be competing against other schools to win the same case with their own arguments, evidence and facts. The program surrounding the Mock Trial club has been around school campuses for approximately 40 years.

This is the first year that Summerville High School will participate in the program.

“With the government and academic decathlon classes we have here on campus, public speaking and social involvement is supported, and I think a lot of the kids here at Summerville are very interested in the type of work that the mock trial club does,” said Mr. Patey.

The club will compete with other schools in the area over the year, with the possibility of working up the ranks and competing at the state and national levels. Club members will also have the chance to win a $1000 scholarship for those who are determined to go into the field of law and government.

“I’m so excited because I’m looking into the field of law, and participating in something like the Mock Trial Club is one of the best things you can put on your college application,” stated Brasesco.

However, most students that participate in mock trial clubs usually do not go into a similar career, field or major. The experiences that these students obtain from the club will help them academically in college.

Professional attorneys and judges from local offices often come to the club meetings and offer advice and guidance to the members in an effort to make the trial and case seem as realistic as possible.

Mr. Patey explained that this is not his first experience leading a mock trial club. He was also involved in a similar experience during his time period of teaching in Southern California, before making the journey to Summerville High.

The club meets after school on Fridays from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in Mr. Patey’s room 403, and is still accepting members from all grades to fill specific positions on the team.

Summerville Lays Down the Law